|Written||1941 (music), 1944 (lyrics)|
|Lyricist(s)||Ervin Drake, Hans Lengsfelder|
"Perdido" is a jazz standard composed by Juan Tizol, a longtime member of Duke Ellington's orchestra. It was first recorded for radio transcription on December 3, 1941, by Duke Ellington. The Duke Ellington Orchestra recorded it again, this time for Victor, on January 21, 1942. In 1944, Ervin Drake and Hans Lengsfelder were hired to write lyrics for the song.
Ella Fitzgerald recording
Many others recorded the song, including:
- Ben Webster
- Sarah Vaughan
- Dinah Washington
- Art Tatum
- Quincy Jones
- The Charlie Parker Quintet
- Dave Brubeck
- Charles Mingus
- Randy Weston
- Erroll Garner
- Bill Doggett
- Harry James
- Enoch Light and Light Brigade
- "Perdido" at JazzStandards.com.
- H. J. Schaal Jazz-Standards. p. 395.
- Basilio Serrano, "Juan Tizol: His talents, his collaborators, his legacy", Centro Journal 18(2): 83–99 (2006).
- "Enoch Light and the Light Brigade – Future Sound Shock (1973, Vinyl)".
- "Perdido" at JazzStandards.com
- Standards Throwdown! (THE Greatest Standard of ALL-TIME!): Perdido "36 different artists recordings of Perdido, in a 'Standards Throwdown!'" at rdio.com