Peregrine Eliot, 10th Earl of St Germans
The Right Honourable
The Earl of St Germans
Peregrine Nicholas Eliot
2 January 1941
|Died||15 July 2016(aged 75)|
|Residence||Port Eliot, St Germans|
|Title||10th Earl of St Germans|
Peregrine Nicholas Eliot, 10th Earl of St Germans (2 January 1941 – 15 July 2016), was a British peer and founder of the Elephant Fayre and Port Eliot Lit Fest.
In 1988, on the death of his father, he succeeded as the 10th Earl of St Germans.
In 1980 a small festival which had outgrown its site at Polgooth in mid-Cornwall approached the Port Eliot estate and asked if it could be held in the idyllic grounds. The estate office agreed a price, and there began the Elephant Fayre, one of the most eclectic festivals of the 1980s. The festival ran from 1981–1986, beginning with some 1,500 visitors over four days, and featured a mix of music, theatre and visual arts. Over the years the festival grew, attracting crowds of up to 30,000 and bands such as The Cure, The Fall and Siouxsie and the Banshees. The burning down of the oldest tree in the park, looting of the village surgery and the robbing of stall-holders in 1985 prompted Lord Eliot and fellow organisers to make the 1986 festival the last.
Port Eliot Festival
Marriages & children
He was married three times:
- Jago Nicholas Aldo Eliot, Lord Eliot (born 24 March 1966, died 15 April 2006), father of Albert Clarence Eliot, 11th Earl of St Germans (born 4 November 2004)
- Hon Louis Robert Eliot (born 11 April 1968)
- Hon Francis Michael Eliot (born 16 November 1971).
They were divorced in 1990.
On 20 April 1992 he married Elizabeth Dorothy Williams (b. 1961), with no issue. They were divorced in 1996.
On September 2005 he married Catherine Wilson, with no issue.
Peregrine Eliot, 10th Earl St. Germans died after a short illness (following surgery for cancer) on 15 July 2016.
|Ancestors of Peregrine Eliot, 10th Earl of St Germans|
- "Port Eliot Lit Fest".
- GRO Register of Marriages: DEC 1964 5c 601 WESTMINSTER – Eliot = Lampson
- The Peerage, entry for Jago Eliot
- Francis Eliot's biological father is the artist Lucian Freud, according to David Kamp, "Freud, Interrupted", Vanity Fair, February 2012, page 147
- GRO Register of Marriages: APR 1992 13 1331 KENSINGTON & CHELSEA – Eliot = Williams
- The Earl of St Germans, founder of the Port Eliot Festival – obituary, The Telegraph, 17 July 2016
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of St Germans
- Peregrine Eliot, 10th Earl of St Germans
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
| Earl of St Germans
|This biography of an earl in the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|