Perez (son of Judah)
Perez, also written as Pharez/Perets (Hebrew: פֶּרֶץ / פָּרֶץ, Modern Perets / Peretz Tiberian Péreṣ / Pāreṣ), was the son of Tamar and Judah, and the twin of Zerah, according to the Book of Genesis. The name is transliterated to English as both "Perez" (NIV, ESV, NKJV) and "Pharez" (KJV). Perez, in Hebrew means "breach or burst forth" and is named after the narrative of his birth as recorded in Genesis 38:29.
- Genesis 38
- 27 And it came to pass in the time of her travail, that, behold, twins [were] in her womb.
- 28 And it came to pass, when she travailed, that [the one] put out [his] hand: and the midwife took and bound upon his hand a scarlet thread, saying, This came out first.
- 29 And it came to pass, as he drew back his hand, that, behold, his brother came out: and she said, How hast thou broken forth? [this] breach [be] upon thee: therefore his name was called Pharez.
- 30 And afterward came out his brother, that had the scarlet thread upon his hand: and his name was called Zarah.
- Genesis 38:29
- 1 Chronicles 2:4
- Strong's Hebrew 6556_ פָּ֫רֶץ (perets) -- a bursting forth, breach Retrieved 2015-08-01
Note: The name is under Strong's 6557 which refers to 6556 for the meaning.
- Ruth 4:18-22
- Matthew 1:3
- Luke 3:33
- J. A. Emerton, Judah And Tamar
- Cheyne and Black, Encyclopaedia Biblica, Vol III