Perfect (Fairground Attraction song)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013)|
|Single by Fairground Attraction|
|from the album The First of a Million Kisses|
|Released||31 March 1988|
|Format||CD single, cassette single, 7" single, 12" single|
|Genre||Soft rock, soul|
|Writer(s)||Mark E. Nevin|
|Fairground Attraction singles chronology|
"Perfect" is a song by British band Fairground Attraction, which was released as a single in March 1988. The words and music of the song are written by Mark Nevin.
The single reached number one on 14 May 1988 on the UK Singles Chart, where it stayed for one week, and stayed in the chart for a total of thirteen weeks. It also reached number one in South Africa as well as in Australia for three weeks in August and September 1988. In the UK, it was released as a 7" single, 12" single, cassette single and CD single. The song was included on the band's first album, The First of a Million Kisses, released later the same year. A copy of the song using another singer was used in television advertising for Asda in the late 1980s and early 1990s. It was re-released as a single in 1993 after it had reappeared on the compilation album Celtic Heart.
The song achieved crossover onto the US Hot Country Singles, peaking at number 85 in two weeks. It also reached number 80 on the Billboard Hot 100. Additionally, the song reached number 23 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart, the song's only Top 40 entry on any Billboard chart.
"Perfect" won the award for Best Single at the 1989 BRIT Awards.
It was the last number-one single on the NME singles chart, on 14 May 1988.
- "Falling Backwards"
- "Mystery Train"
Celtic Heart release
- "Walking after Midnight"
- "You Send Me"
- "Captured" (Brian Kennedy solo track)
Baillie & the Boys rendition
|Single by Baillie & the Boys|
|from the album The Lights of Home|
|B-side||"Lovin' by Numbers"|
|Released||April 14, 1990|
|Writer(s)||Mark E. Nevin|
|Baillie & the Boys singles chronology|
American country music group Baillie & the Boys released their version in April 1990 as the first single from the album The Lights of Home. The song reached #23 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||16|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||23|
- "The Official Charts Company". Officialcharts.com. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 488. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 141. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- "Allmusic: Fairground Attraction - Charts & Awards". Allmusic. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- "Chart Track: Week 12, 1988". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved Jun 28, 2015.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Country Hits: 1944-2006, Second edition. Record Research. p. 37.
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 1258." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. 23 June 1990. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
"Theme from S'Express" by S'Express
|UK number-one single
8 May - 14 May 1988
"With a Little Help from My Friends" by Wet Wet Wet