Perfect Number (film)
|Revised Romanization||Yonguija X|
|Directed by||Bang Eun-jin|
|Produced by||Jung Tae-sung |
|Written by||Lee Gong-joo |
|Based on||The Devotion of Suspect X|
by Keigo Higashino
|Starring||Ryoo Seung-bum |
|Music by||Shin Yi-kyung|
|Edited by||Yoo Sung-yup |
|Distributed by||CJ Entertainment|
Perfect Number (Korean: 용의자X; RR: Yonguija X; lit. Suspect X) is a 2012 South Korean mystery-drama film directed by Bang Eun-jin. Adapted from Keigo Higashino's novel The Devotion of Suspect X, it centers around a mild-mannered mathematics teacher (Ryoo Seung-bum) who plans the perfect alibi for the woman he secretly loves (Lee Yo-won) when she unexpectedly murders her abusive ex-husband. Cho Jin-woong received a Best Supporting Actor nomination at the 49th Baeksang Arts Awards in 2013.
Kim Seok-go showed a lot of promise as a brilliant mathematician when he was in school, resolutely focused on his studies rather than on friends throughout his childhood. Now in his 30s, he's an ordinary high school math teacher, a far cry from the promising future of his youth. Seok-go is solemn and introverted, and his morning exchanges with Baek Hwa-sun, the cafe employee he buys lunch from, is the brightest part of his day. When Hwa-sun's ex-husband mercilessly beats Hwa-sun and her niece, Hwa-sun kills him. Seok-go overhears the fight from his house next door and decides to cover up the killing and protect her from the police. He uses his genius in meticulously planning the perfect alibi for her, and thanks to his efforts, Hwa-sun is cleared in the case. However, the detective in charge, Jo Min-beom, believes that Hwa-sun is guilty and follows his intuition despite the lack of evidence. Min-beom also happens to have gone to the same high school as Seok-go, and when he finds out that his old school friend lives next door to the prime suspect, he starts digging deeper into Seok-go's life.
- Ryoo Seung-bum as Kim Seok-go
- Lee Yo-won as Baek Hwa-sun
- Cho Jin-woong as Detective Jo Min-beom
- Kim Yoon-sung as Sang-joon, Min-beom's colleague
- Kim Bo-ra as Yoon-ah, Hwa-sun's niece
- Lee Seok-joon as Nam Tae-woo
- Im Sung-min as Jung-sook
- Kwak Min-ho as Kim Cheol-min
- Kwon Hae-hyo as police team leader
- Nam Moon-cheol as police section chief
- Park Hyung-soo as investigation team member 1
- Nam Yeon-woo as investigation team member 2
- Lee Hwang-eui as homeless man 1
- Lee Soo-hyung as homeless man 2
- Kim Joo-ryung as Madam Jung
- Han Do-hyun as Seok-go in high school
- Kim Ah-ron as girl
- Baek Seung-do as Seok-go's student
- Park Jung-pyo as emergency room doctor
- Myung Gye-nam as Jinsung Inn proprietor
- Song Young-chang as polygraph examiner
- Chae Young-in as diving master
- "Perfect Number (2012)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- Jang, Sung-ran (5 October 2012). "I carved out every single scene rather than filming: PANG Eun-jin, director of Perfect Number". Korean Cinema Today. Retrieved 2012-12-07.
- Hong, Lucia (2 December 2011). "Ryoo Seung-bum, Lee Yo-won cast in new movie". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-04-28.
- Lee, Hye-ji (30 August 2012). "Ryoo Seung-bum, Lee Yo-won's new film to open in October". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Hye-ji (19 September 2012). "Ryu Seung-bum says "Math is the subject still I need to learn"". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Jeon, Chanil. "Perfect Number". BIFF.kr. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- Yoon, Ina (23 February 2015). "How Can Foreign Stories be Localized?". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
- "Perfect Number". CJ Entertainment. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- "Perfect Number (2012)". The Chosun Ilbo. 19 October 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Bechervaise, Jason (9 October 2012). "Perfect Number". Screen International. Retrieved 2012-12-01.
- Elley, Derek (27 October 2012). "Perfect Number". Film Business Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-01.
- Goldstein, Gary (1 November 2012). "Review: Prime suspense in Perfect Number". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-12-01.