Perfect Strangers (Deep Purple song)
|Single by Deep Purple|
|from the album Perfect Strangers|
|B-side||"Son of Alerik"|
Mercury Records (US)
|Deep Purple singles chronology|
This song is about reincarnation. It's a conversation between oneself from their past life and their present self. The song tells about memories this person has from their past life, but they (past and present self) "must remain perfect strangers" to each other. 
It is one of the few Deep Purple songs not to feature a guitar solo. Nevertheless, band guitarist Ritchie Blackmore has called it his favorite Deep Purple song. The lyrics are actually inspired by the Elric books by Michael Moorcock.
- It has been covered by Dimmu Borgir on their latest album Abrahadabra as a bonus track.
- It was also covered by progressive metal band Dream Theater on their EP A Change of Seasons. Dream Theater also performed it live on a BBC Radio show along with Iron Maiden vocalist Bruce Dickinson singing the lead vocals.
- Hard rock vocalist Jørn Lande covered it on his solo album Unlocking the Past.
- Finnish duo Timo Kotipelto and Jani Liimatainen have recently covered it during live performances and in their studio album Blackoustic.
- Ritchie Blackmore - guitar
- Ian Gillan - vocals
- Roger Glover - bass
- Jon Lord - organ
- Ian Paice - drums
- It was used by Extreme Championship Wrestling wrestler "The Franchise" Shane Douglas as an entrance theme. Soundalike versions were used for his later runs in World Championship Wrestling and Total Nonstop Action Wrestling.
- "Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers Lyrics Meaning". Lyric Interpretations.
- "DPRP Specials : Candice Night & Ritchie Blackmore : Interview 2007". dprp.net.