Perfect World (company)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Traded as||Formerly NASDAQ: PWRD|
|Founded||March, 2004[third-party source needed]|
|Headquarters||Huzhou, China and Redwood City, California|
|Robert Hong Xiao (CEO)|
|Revenue||CN¥5.65 billion (2017)|
|CN¥1.51 billion (2017)|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Antaeus Cinema Line
Runic Games (defunct)
Perfect World Entertainment
Perfect World (Chinese: 完美世界; formerly 完美时空) is a Chinese video game developer specializing in MMORPGs. Perfect World was founded in 2004 by Chi Yufeng, the president of Human Software Corporation. The company aims to develop and market games with Chinese characteristics. The company's initial public offering on the Nasdaq was completed in July, 2007.
Perfect World is parent to the Seattle-based game developer Runic Games. In 2009, Perfect World entered into an agreement to publish Torchlight, an action-RPG in production by Runic Games worldwide and later bought a majority stake in Runic Games.
- Perfect World - 3D MMORPG - January 2006
- Legend of Martial Arts - 3D MMORPG - September 2006
- Perfect World II - 3D MMORPG - November 2006
- Jade Dynasty - 3D MMORPG - May 2007
- Chi Bi - 3D MMORPG - January 2008
- Hot Dance Party - 3D MMORPG - March 2008
- Pocketpet Journey West - 3D MMORPG - October 2008
- Battle of the Immortals - 2.5D MMORPG - April 2009
- Ether Saga Odyssey - 3D MMORPG - July 2009
- Fantasy Zhu Xian - 2D MMORPG - October 2009
- Dragon Excalibur - 2D MMORPG - October 2010
- Forsaken World - 3D MMORPG - October 2010
- Empire of the Immortals - 2.5D MMORPG - Q4 2010
- War of the Immortals - 3D MMORPG - December 2012
- Neverwinter - 3D MMORPG - June 2013*
- Swordsman Online - 3D MMORPG - July 2014
- Final Fantasy Type-0 Online - Multiplayer action role-playing game for iOS, Android and Windows - 2017
Perfect World Entertainment
Perfect World Entertainment is the company’s North American online games publisher specializing in immersive free-to-play MMORPGs. Founded in 2008, Perfect World Entertainment currently operates 10 titles.
Perfect World Europe B.V
Created in early 2010, in Amsterdam, Perfect World Europe focuses on localizing and operating massively multiplayer games in Europe. Currently, it has Jade Dynasty as well as Forsaken World in both French and German.
- Perfect World II - French, German - 3D MMORPG November 2006
- Jade Dynasty - English - 3D MMORPG May 2007
- Forsaken World - French, German - 3D MMORPG - October 2010
- Star Trek Online - French, German - 3D MMORPG - February 2010
- Blacklight: Retribution - 3D MMORPG - April 2012
- War of the Immortals - French, German - 3D MMORPG - December 2012
- Neverwinter - French, German, Italian, Turkish, Polish, Russian - 3D MMORPG - June 2013
- Swordsman Online - French, German, Turkish - 3D MMORPG - July 2014
- Perfect World - 3D MMORPG
- Legend of Martial Arts - 3D MMORPG
- Zhu Xian - 3D MMORPG
- Chi Bi - 3D MMORPG
- Forsaken World - 3D MMORPG
- Champions Online - 3D MMORPG - September 2009
Collaboration with Valve
On October 18, 2012, Valve Corporation announced an agreement granting Perfect World exclusive rights to market and distribute Dota 2 in mainland China. CEO Robert Hong Xiao stated that his company was "confident that adding this action strategy game to our diverse portfolio of games will bring additional world-class entertainment and premier gaming experiences to our players in China."
On 25 February 2016, Perfect World hosted Dota 2's Shanghai Major. While the tournament itself was well received in regards to the player performances, the event garnered criticism due to delays on stream, spotty broadcasts and various other problems within the tournament, including the theft and deterioration of the competing teams' equipment. In the month that followed the event, the president of Perfect World, Yunfan Zhang, apologized for the issues with the event.
On September 24, 2017, Valve announced on the Counter-Strike blog that Perfect World would also be distributing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive in the Chinese market through the company's service.
- "Milestones". Perfect World Corporate. Perfect World. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- IGN. Beijing Perfect World Co. Ltd
- AP. Perfect World shares surge in debut[permanent dead link]. July 26, 2007.
- "Perfect World Enters into Publishing Agreement with Runic Games" (Press release). Perfect World Co., Ltd. 2009-04-22. Retrieved 2009-04-23.
- Frater, Patrick (September 7, 2016). "China's Perfect World Buys Antaeus Cinema Chain". Variety. Retrieved September 7, 2016.
- Romano, Sal (2015-09-19). "Final Fantasy Type-0 Online announced for PC and smartphones". Gematsu. Archived from the original on 2015-09-19. Retrieved 2015-09-19.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-01. Retrieved 2011-02-01.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-10-21. Retrieved 2012-10-21.
- "Perfect World apologises for Shanghai Major mess". Retrieved 2016-10-04.