|Country (de jure)||Cyprus|
|• District||Larnaca District|
|Country (de facto)||Northern Cyprus|
|• District||Gazimağusa District|
|• Mayor||İlker Edip|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
|Website||Turkish Cypriot municipality|
Pergamos (Greek: Πέργαμoς; Turkish: Beyarmudu) is a Turkish Cypriot village in Larnaca District, Cyprus, 4 km north of Pyla, almost surrounded by the British Sovereign Base Area (SBA) at Dhekelia. Pergamos is under the de facto control of Northern Cyprus.
The origin of the name is uncertain and may be associated with ancient Pergamon in Asia Minor. The Turkish Cypriot name became Beyarmudu in 1958, meaning lord's pear. Pergamos was actually called Pergama and is visible on a map which was published by Jacomo Franco in Venice 1570.
Pergamos had a population of 87 in 1881 (first British census). During the British period it was almost solely inhabited by Turkish Cypriots, which it remains. In 1960 there were 826 inhabitants, all Turkish Cypriots. In 2011 the population was 1,196, a slight decrease from 1,270 in 2006. Some Turkish Cypriots who were displaced to Pergamos during the 1960s have remained since in the village.
Twin towns – sister cities
Pergamos is twinned with:
- In 1983, the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus unilaterally declared independence from the Republic of Cyprus. The de facto state is not recognised by any UN state except Turkey.
- KKTC 2011 Nüfus ve Konut Sayımı [TRNC 2011 Population and Housing Census] (PDF), TRNC State Planning Organization, 6 August 2013, p. 19
- PRIO web site http://www.prio-cyprus-displacement.net/default.asp?id=383 retrieved Aug 2018
- Census of Cyprus 1881, printed by Eyre & Spottiswoode, London , 1884
- Report and General Abstracts of the Census of Cyprus 1911, publ. Waterlow and Sons Ltd, London, 1912
- Report and General Abstracts of the Census of Cyprus 1921, publ. Waterlow and Sons Ltd, London, 1922
- Census of Population and Agriculture 1960, pub.Printing Office of the Republic of Cyprus, Nicosia, 1960; Vol.1, Table IV
- Sarıyer - Twin Towns, Sarıyer-City.sk, retrieved 2013-10-19
- Kepez - Twin Towns, Kepez-City.sk, archived from the original on 2013-10-19, retrieved 2013-10-19
- Karaman - Twin Towns, Karaman-City.sk, retrieved 2013-10-19
|This Cyprus location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|