Jerry with the Falcons in 2009
|No. 94, 96, 97|
|Date of birth:||August 23, 1984|
|Place of birth:||Memphis, Tennessee|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||295 lb (134 kg)|
|High school:||Batesville (MS) South Panola|
|NFL draft:||2009 / Round: 1 / Pick: 24|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Peria Edward Jerry (//; born August 23, 1984) is a former American football defensive tackle. He was selected by the Falcons in the first round of the 2009 NFL Draft. He played college football for the University of Mississippi. Jerry retired from football in 2014 after five seasons with the Atlanta Falcons. He is the older brother of New York Giants guard John Jerry.
High school career
While playing for South Panola High School in Batesville, Mississippi, Jerry was selected first team All-State and Class 5A Defensive Player of the Year by the Mississippi Association of Coaches. He was also named first team All-State by The Clarion-Ledger.
Jerry signed with Ole Miss in the 2004 class, but decided to attend Hargrave Military Academy. There, he was rated as the No. 15 prep school player in the country by Rivals.com. He played in eight games at Hargrave during the 2004 season and was credited with 30 tackles, including five quarterback sacks.
The 2005 season was Jerry's true freshman season at Ole Miss. After missing the first four games due to injury, he played in six of the final seven games. He finished the season with three total tackles.
In 2006, Jerry battled through injuries to play in eight games, making six starts along the defensive line. He made starts at end, tackle and nose tackle. He totaled 22 tackles on the season with 1 tackle for a loss and 1 QB sack. In the Spring, he received the Jeff Hamm Memorial Award for the most improved defensive player of spring drills. He moved from tackle to end and promptly emerged as the starter. Jerry was rated an "Emerging Star" at Ole Miss by Lindy’s magazine.
2007 saw Jerry named Second Team All-SEC by the Associated Press and Rivals.com. He started all 12 games at defensive tackle and was ranked sixth in the SEC in tackles for losses (TFLs) with 14. He finished second on the team in TFLs, 3 and a half QB sacks, 4 QB hurries and 58 total tackles.
In 2008, Jerry was named to the All-SEC First Team by the leagues coaches and to the All-SEC First Team by the nation's news media. Additionally he was named to the Associated Press All-America First Team.
2009 NFL Draft
Drawing comparisons to Vonnie Holliday and Cory Redding, Jerry was commonly ranked as the second-best defensive tackle available in the 2009 NFL Draft, behind only Boston College′s B. J. Raji. He was drafted in the first round (24th overall) by the Atlanta Falcons.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 1⅞ in||290 lb||4.98 s||4.64 s||7.30 s||31 in||9 ft 6 in||28 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine|
Peria Jerry suffered a major knee injury on September 20, 2009, which caused him to miss the remainder of the 2009 season.
In 2010, he came back from injury, and played in all 16 games. However, he lost his starting job to rookie DT Corey Peters.
On July 31, 2014, Peria Jerry announced his retirement from the NFL.
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
- GP: games played
- COMB: combined tackles
- TOTAL: total tackles
- AST: assisted tackles
- SACK: sacks
- FF: forced fumbles
- FR: fumble recoveries
- FR YDS: fumble return yards
- INT: interceptions
- IR YDS: interception return yards
- AVG IR: average interception return
- LNG: longest interception return
- TD: interceptions returned for touchdown
- PD: passes defensed
- "Pro Football War Room: Peria Jerry", SportingNews.com, April 25, 2009
- McGuire, Matt, "2009 NFL Draft Prospects: Peria Jerry Profile", WalterFootball.com
- Fiutak, Pete (April 21, 2009), "2009 NFL Draft - The Defensive Tackles", College Football News
- Needell, Paul (April 24, 2009), "2009 NFL Draft Analysis: Defensive ends/defensive tackles", The Star-Ledger
- Abromowitz, Michael, "2009 NFL Draft Rankings - Defensive Tackles", NFL Draft Director
- Ledbetter, D. Orlando (April 26, 2009), "Falcons opt for defense", The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- Ledbetter, D. Orlando (July 30, 2009), "Falcons, first-round pick Jerry reach deal", The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- Devitt, Dawson (July 29, 2009), "The Fight for D-Tackle: Jerry or Lewis?", The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- Rosenthal, Gregg (July 31, 2014). "Peria Jerry, former Falcons first-round pick, retiring". NFL.com. Retrieved 2014-07-31.
- "Peria Jerry Stats". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- Fialkov, Harvey (April 23, 2010), "Dolphins draft Ole Miss OG John Jerry in third round", South Florida Sun-Sentinel.