|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||'We strive for excellence in everything we do.'|
|Headteacher||Mr Steve Jones|
|DfE URN||137128 Tables|
|Ofsted||Reports Pre-academy reports|
|Houses||Terra, Ventus, Aqua, Ignis|
|Colours||Blue & White (House Colours - Red, Yellow, Green, Purple)|
Perins School (formerly named Perins Community School) is a Sports College and secondary school with academy status in New Alresford, Hampshire, England. The school has been granted specialist status for leading the field in the area of sports within Hampshire.
Perins is a well performing school, achieving GCSE pass rates well above the national average. 72% of pupils obtained five or more GCSES grade C or above including maths and English in 2009, compared with the national average of 47.6%. In 2000, OFSTED reported that pupils' attainment had risen from "above average" to "well above average". In the 2010 OFSTED inspection report it was given outstanding status. In 2013, it was given good status.
The houses used to be named after space shuttles.
However, in 2016, the new headteacher (Steve Jones) added a new house and changed the names of the existing ones. The changes and addition are as follows:
- Ignis house (fire in Latin) formerly Endeavour (red)
- Terra house (earth in Latin) formerly Challenger (green)
- Ventus house (wind in Latin) formerly Discovery (yellow)
- Aqua house (water in Latin) the new house (purple)
7 main blocks
Pascal: (Media and English classrooms)
Eliot: (Geography, Art, ICT and RE / Philosophy & Ethics classrooms, as well as the LRC/library, main staff room and other offices) - Eliot and Pascal were built in the 70s.
Rousseau: The original school house (Modern foreign languages and History classrooms, as well as the site management)
Ibsen: (Music classroom and practice rooms)
Newton: (Science 'laboratories '/classrooms and Prep rooms)
Stephenson: (Technology classrooms. This consists of the resistant materials workshop classrooms; the Computing room for the technology department and the food tech and textiles rooms).
The buildings' names are combined to create the acronym of the school's name, PERINS, and are consequentially in order as you move from the top to the bottom of the school.
Turing: A new block behind Evolution, was built to accommodate the growing maths department. Upon completing the new building, Pascal became entirely for the English department, construction began in late 2013 and was finished by the Summer Term of 2014.
Other buildings and more recently built blocks are
The Hub and Ibsen: (Drama studios and Music classroom)
Evolution: (The gym, the dance studio and the PE theory classroom)
School office: (The senior management staff have their offices here, as well as the main office, the finances office and the photocopying room)
Connected to the school office: (Pastoral, Learning support and the PE office)
Sports Hall: To the back of Stephenson, there is an additional building which holds what is known as the sports hall (this is where examinations and other events/activities are held, in addition to sporting activities)
The school provides cultural and sporting facilities for the town and surrounding area.
- Gina Beck, West End Musical Leading Lady, Currently Christine Daaé in The Phantom of the Opera.
- Alexa Chung, TV presenter, former model, fashionista.
- Chris Geere, Actor on BBC Drama series Waterloo Road playing the role of Matt Wilding.
- Kerry Howard, comedy actress and sister of Russell Howard, performed as Laura in the popular BBC Three comedy series Him & Her and Vicki in the 2009 BBC One sitcom Reggie Perrin.
- Russell Howard, Stand up comedian Russell Howard's Good News and regular on BBC comedy series Mock the Week.
- Dan Kieran, Author (Crap Towns) and travel journalist for The Times
- Derek Warwick Formula One racing driver