Perkins and Will
|Founder||Lawrence Perkins and Philip Will|
Number of employees
Perkins+Will is an American architecture and design firm established in 1935.
The company attracted national attention in 1940 with the Crow Island School in Winnetka, Illinois, designed in association with Eliel Saarinen and Eero Saarinen. In 1986, Perkins+Will was bought by Dar Al-Handasah, a Lebanese consulting firm.
In March 2014, Perkins + Will announced its planned acquisition of The Freelon Group, led by Philip Freelon. After the close of the transaction, Freelon is expected to join Perkins + Will’s board of directors and become managing and design director of the firm’s North Carolina practice.
The firm's website claims to have more Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) accredited professionals than any other design firm in North America. In 2011, Perkins+Will announced the LEED-ND (Neighborhood Development) platinum level certification for its 100th sustainable building, the Dockside Green Phase Two Balance project, located in Victoria, British Columbia.
Notable LEED projects:
- University at Buffalo's School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
- VanDusen Botanical Garden Visitor Centre, Vancouver BC - LEED Canada Platinum certified, designed to meet the Living Building Challenge
- Dockside Green in Victoria, BC.
- Great River Energy Corporate Headquarters in Maple Grove, MN - a LEED Platinum Building that is the first to combine Lake Source Geo-Exchange with displacement ventilation. The building has an urban wind turbine.
- Discovery Health Center – 1st LEED NC Certified ambulatory care facility in the country.
- Arlington Free Clinic – 1st LEED CI Gold free health clinic in the USA.
- Rush University Medical Center, Orthopedic Ambulatory Building – Largest LEED CS Gold healthcare building in the country.
- Target Retail Store - the first LEED Certified store for this company.
- The Charles E. Young Research Library at UCLA achieved LEED Gold certification 
- Boeing International Headquarters, Chicago, Illinois
- Bridgestone Tower, Nashville, Tennessee
- Chase Tower (Chicago), Chicago, Illinois
- The Clare, Chicago, Illinois
- Concordia International School Shanghai, Shanghai, China
- Cornell University College of Engineering, Ithaca, New York; complex of seven buildings in the 1950s, including Upson Hall
- Crow Island School, Winnetka, Illinois
- Lake Forest College, buildings in Middle and South Campus, Lake Forest, Illinois
- Duke University Fuqua School of Business, Durham, North Carolina
- Florida Atlantic University, Schmidt Biomedical Science Center
- Fort Collins High School, Fort Collins, Colorado
- GlenOak High School, Plain Township, Ohio
- International School of Beijing, Beijing, China
- Klaus Advanced Computing Building, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, Georgia
- Knight Campus, Community College of Rhode Island (1972)
- Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum, Chicago, Illinois
- Philadelphia Pennsylvania Temple, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Proviso West High School, Hillside, Illinois
- Ruth M. Rothstein CORE Center, Chicago, Illinois
- Signature Place, St. Petersburg, Florida
- Tulane University, Mayer Residences, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Tufts University, Granoff Music Center, Boston
- University of Agostinho Neto, New Campus Master Plan, Luanda, Angola
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Temple Hoyne Buell Hall, Champaign, Illinois
- University of Miami, School of Communication, Miami, Florida
- University of Pennsylvania, Biomedical Research Building II, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- University of Southern California, Zilkha Neurogenetic Institute, Los Angeles, California
- Antilia, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- 235 Van Buren, Chicago, Illinois
- Princess Nourah Bint Abdul Rahman University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- University Health System 2012 expansion project, San Antonio, Texas.
- Los Angeles United States Court House, Los Angeles, California, new facility
- Texas A&M University, Memorial Student Center 2012 Renovation, College Station, Texas.
- University at Buffalo, Davis Hall Building, UB's North Campus, Amherst, NY
- Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, North Campus, Suzhou, China
- SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Amaravati, India.
- 2015 American Planning Association's National Planning Excellence Award for a Planning Firm
- 2010 National Building Museum's Honor Award for Civic Innovation, the first architectural firm to be a recipient.
- 2010 Honor Award for Civic Innovation from the National Building Museum
- 2009 and 2008 Practice Greenhealth Champion for Change Award
- 2009 COTE Top 10 Green Projects, Dockside Green and Great River Energy
- 2008 BusinessWeek and Architectural Record "Good Design is Good Business" Award for Haworth Headquarters
- 2008 CoreNet Sustainability Leadership Award for Sustainable Development
- 2003 National Honor Award from the AIA for Skybridge at One North Halsted, Chicago, Illinois
- New York Times obituary
- 1967 World Book Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 591.
- Bracken, David (6 March 2014). "Global architecture firm Perkins+Will acquiring the Freelon Group". The Durham News. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- PR Newswire, September 25, 2012, retrieved 2012-09-29
- USGBC Dockside Green project page. Retrieved 2013-11-03
- Inhabitat July 5, 2011, retrieved 2012-03-20
- Great River Energy, about us Archived 2012-03-23 at the Wayback Machine., retrieved 2012-03-20
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-10-07. Retrieved 2011-06-21.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-03-11. Retrieved 2011-06-21.
- Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush, Orthopedic Building Awarded Green Certification, retrieved 2012-03-20
- "The Boeing Corporate Headquarters, Chicago". Chicago Architecture Info. Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- Witten, Patti (8 May 2018). "AAP Alumni Lead Upson Hall Transformation". Cornell University AAP. Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- "International School of Beijing". perkinswill.com. Retrieved 2015-09-16.
- "Klaus Advanced Computing Building". perkinswill.com. Retrieved 2015-09-16.
- "CCRI moves to the Knight Estate in Warwick". Warwick Digital History Project. City of Warwick. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- "We Talk About Architecture, Architecture Talks Back" (PDF). CCRI. Knight Campus Art Gallery. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- "Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum". perkinswill.com. Retrieved 2015-09-16.
- PROVISO SCHOOL TO SEEK BIDS ON HILLSIDE UNIT; Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963); 22 July 1956; ProQuest Historical Newspapers Chicago Tribune (1849 - 1986), ProQuest. Web; accessed 25 July 2009
- "CORE Center". perkinswill.com. Retrieved 2015-09-16.
- "Signature Place". perkinswill.com. Retrieved 2015-09-16.
- "Elegant New Music and Performing Arts Center Opens at Tufts University" (Press release). Perkins and Will. 2007-01-26. Retrieved 2007-11-20.
- "SRM - Infrastructure". Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- "National Planning Excellence Award for a Planning Firm". American Planning Association. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- National Building Museum 2010 Honor Awards, retrieved 2012-03-20
- Greenbiz 2010-02-04, retrieved 2012-03-20
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-09-30. Retrieved 2011-06-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Perkins + Will.|