Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Brian Crano|
|Produced by||Brian Crano|
|Written by||Brian Crano|
David Joseph Craig
|Edited by||Matt Friedman|
Ball & Chain Productions
|Distributed by||Good Deed Entertainment|
Permission is a 2017 American romantic comedy-drama film written and directed by Brian Crano. The film stars Rebecca Hall as a woman on the brink of a marriage proposal from her boyfriend (Dan Stevens), but is impeded by the suggestion of her brother (David Joseph Craig) and his life partner (Morgan Spector) to "test date" other men before she ultimately settles down. Meanwhile, the film also follows the relationship of the gay couple as they decide whether or not to become parents.
- Rebecca Hall as Anna, Hale’s sister and Will’s girlfriend
- Dan Stevens as Will, Anna’s boyfriend and Reece's co-worker
- David Joseph Craig as Hale, Anna’s brother and Reece’s boyfriend
- Morgan Spector as Reece, Hale’s boyfriend and Will's co-worker
- Gina Gershon as Lydia
- Jason Sudeikis as Glenn
- Bridget Everett as Charlie
- François Arnaud as Dane
- Raúl Castillo as Heron
- Sarah Steele as Stevie
- Michelle Hurst as Dr. Bennett
The film has acquired international distribution rights from London-based Film Constellation.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 67% based on 42 reviews, and an average rating of 6.13/10. The critical consensus reads: "Permission holds together in spite of its uneven narrative thanks to eminently watchable work from leads Rebecca Hall and Dan Stevens." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 62 out of 100, based on 15 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- Grobar, Matt (April 26, 2017). "'Permission' Stars Dan Stevens And Rebecca Hall Discuss Difficult Relationship Questions — Tribeca Studio". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 19, 2017.
- Barraclough, Leo (January 26, 2017). "Berlin: Rebecca Hall Romantic Comedy 'Permission' Boarded by Film Constellation (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved May 19, 2017.
- Busch, Anita (June 13, 2017). "Good Deed Acquires Rebecca Hall-Dan Stevens Romancer 'Permission'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 13, 2017.
- "Permission (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 16 July 2019.
- "Permission Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 15 February 2018.