McPhee with the Washington Redskins in 2018
|No. 96 – Washington Redskins|
December 17, 1988|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||265 lb (120 kg)|
|High school:||Pahokee (Pahokee, Florida)|
|NFL Draft:||2011 / Round: 5 / Pick: 165|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 3, 2018|
Pernell McPhee (born December 17, 1988) is an American football outside linebacker for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in the fifth round of the 2011 NFL Draft out of Mississippi State.
Pernell attended Pahokee High School, where he was teammates with Dwight Bentley and Janoris Jenkins. McPhee only played one year of high school football and started on both sides of the ball, playing offensive tackle and defensive end. He registered 75 total tackles, including 35 tackles for loss and 19 quarterback sacks to go along with 12 forced fumbles as a senior. He helped lead Pahokee to a 14–0 record that included a 25–11 win over John Brantley's Ocala Trinity Catholic for the 2006 FHSAA Class 2B State Championship. McPhee was named all-state following that season. In addition to his exploits on the football field, he was also a two-year starter in basketball. He originally signed with the University of Southern Mississippi out of high school before going the community college route.
Itawamaba Community College
Spent the first two years of his college career at Itawamba Community College in Fulton, Mississippi where he was named an NJCAA All-American as a sophomore, a season in which he led the nation with 13.5 sacks. During his career at ICC, he tallied 124 tackles (92 solo), 32.5 sacks, 73.5 TFL, 47 QB pressures, and 4 FFs in 18 games.
Mississippi State University
After completing his two years at ICC he transferred to Mississippi State. He was named to the coaches All-SEC first-team as a senior in 2010 and was named first-team All-SEC as a junior in 2009. He served as a team captain in 2010. During his MSU career he started all 25 of the games in which he appeared and totaled 91 tackles (46 solo), 7 sacks, 22 TFL, 20 QB pressures, 2 FFs, and 4 pass breakups. In 2009, he was twice named the SEC Defensive Lineman of the week.
McPhee was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in the fifth round with the 165th overall pick of the 2011 NFL Draft. McPhee collected 6.0 sacks as a rookie for the Ravens in 2011, plus 23 tackles and a forced fumble while playing in all 16 regular season games. On January 12, 2013, in the AFC Divisional Playoff against the Denver Broncos, McPhee recorded a strip-sack on quarterback Peyton Manning. The Ravens would go on win that game 38-35 in double overtime. On January 20, 2013, in the AFC Championship against the New England Patriots, McPhee tipped a pass from quarterback Tom Brady that led to an interception by Dannell Ellerbe with 6:49 remaining in regulation. This led to the Ravens winning that game 28-13 and earning a trip to Super Bowl XLVII, where they would defeat the San Francisco 49ers by a score of 34-31. McPhee switched from defensive end to outside linebacker for the 2013 season.
On March 10, 2015, McPhee signed a five-year contract with the Chicago Bears. On September 27 on the road at CenturyLink Field, McPhee came up with two back to back sacks in a 26-0 loss to the Seattle Seahawks. In the 2015 season, McPhee led the team with 18 quarterback hits.
In 2017, McPhee played in 13 games with five starts before suffering a shoulder injury in Week 15. He was placed on injured reserve on December 20, 2017.
On February 26, 2018, McPhee was released by the Bears.
- Pernell McPhee at Hailstate.com
- Player Roster-Pernell McPhee
- Pernell McPhee Player Bio
- Pernell McPhee Player Bio
- RYAN BROWN NAMED SEC DEFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK Archived March 5, 2016, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Super Bowl XLVII - San Francisco 49ers vs. Baltimore Ravens - February 3rd, 2013". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved November 8, 2017.
- Sessler, Marc. "Bears to sign Pernell McPhee to five-year deal". NFL.com. Retrieved March 11, 2015.
- Mayer, Larry (March 11, 2015). "Bears agree to terms with McPhee". ChicagoBears.com. Retrieved March 11, 2015.
- "Bears vs. Seahawks - Box Score - September 27, 2015 - ESPN". ESPN.com. Retrieved January 7, 2016.
- "By the Numbers: 2015". www.chicagobears.com. Retrieved January 7, 2016.
- "Bears elevate McPhee to active roster". ChicagoBears.com. October 20, 2016.
- Mayer, Larry (December 20, 2017). "Bears put McPhee on injured reserve". ChicagoBears.com.
- Mayer, Larry (February 26, 2018). "Bears release veterans McPhee, Demps". ChicagoBears.com.
- "Redskins sign LB Pernell McPhee". ESPN.com. March 26, 2018. Retrieved March 26, 2018.
- "Redskins sign LB Pernell McPhee". Spotrac.com. March 26, 2018. Retrieved April 15, 2018.