- Johnny Lechner has been attending the University of Wisconsin–Whitewater since 1994. He was scheduled to graduate in 2008 with multiple majors and minors, but continued into a 15th year of college.
- Benjamin Bolger, who received his first four-year degree from the University of Michigan, claims to be the second most credentialed student in modern history, with twenty seven degrees.
- Michael Nicholson has 30 degrees, including 19 master's degrees and one doctorate.
- Milton De Jesús has been a student at the University of Puerto Rico since 1963. De Jesús was recently interviewed by the newspaper, since he is the only student at the campus that can make comparisons among the 2010 student strikes and the 1970s, 80s, 90s, and 2005 strikes. It is not certain if he has a degree.
Portrayal in media
The 2002 film National Lampoon's Van Wilder tells the story of Van Wilder, a popular student who has been in college for seven years, with no plans to graduate.
Diane, from the TV comedy Cheers.
The character of Daljit ("DJ") from the 2006 Bollywood movie Rang de Basanti.
- Sam Dillon (2005-11-10). "For One Student, a College Career Becomes a Career". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-05-22.
- Tess McEnroe. "Twenty-seven degrees and counting: Kalamazoo man enjoys the 'freedom' of intellectual pursuits". Kalamazoo Gazette. MLive.com. Retrieved 2012-06-19.
- Twenty-seven degrees and counting: Kalamazoo man enjoys the 'freedom' of intellectual pursuits
- El Nuevo Día year xxxx, vol14449 page 6
- Kalamatianou, A. McLean, S. (2003). “The Perpetual Student: Modeling Duration of Undergraduates Studies Based on Lifetime-Type Educational Data”, Lifetime Data Analysis, 9: 311-330.
- Kalamaras, D. Kalamatianou, A. (2006). “Life table methods for the duration of studies: further results”, Proceeding of 9th Young Statistician Meeting, 24.