Chen in 2010
|Born||June 21, 1976|
|Occupation||Artist and Chairman of Kickstarter|
|Website||Perry Chen Studio|
Perry Chen is an American artist and entrepreneur best known for being the creator and principal founder of Kickstarter, the online funding platform for creative projects. He came up with the idea for Kickstarter in 2001 and launched it in 2009 along with co-founders Charles Adler and Yancey Strickler.
Chen co-founded the Southfirst gallery in Brooklyn in 2001, was a TED Fellow in 2010, a resident of Laboratorio para la Ciudad in Mexico City in 2014, and is a 2016 Director's Fellow at the MIT Media Lab. In 2017, he was appointed to the Knight Commission on Trust, Media and American Democracy — a nonpartisan commission of leaders across media, technology, and public policy tasked with guiding the public discourse on rebuilding trust in America’s democratic institutions.
In December 2014, he exhibited "Computers in Crisis" for the New Museum's First Look program, co-presented by Rhizome and Creative Time Reports. The exhibition included the event Y2K+15, an exploration of the phenomenon and legacy of Y2K, held at the New Museum.
- "How I Built This with Guy Raz". NPR. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- "Immersive Space – Perry Chen". School of Art & Art History, University of Illinois at Chicago.
- Chafkin, Max. "True To Its Roots: Why Kickstarter Won't Sell". Fast Company. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "Perry Chen – Aspen Ideas". Aspen Ideas Festival. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "Perry Chen – TED Fellow". TED. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "Residencia: Perry Chen". Laboratorio para la Ciudad. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "2016 MIT Media Lab Directors Fellows Announced". Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "The Knight Commission on Trust, Media and Democracy". The Aspen Institute. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- "The 2013 Time 100". Time. 18 April 2013.
- "Perry Chen: Computers in Crisis". New Museum. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "Perry Chen: Y2K+15". New Museum. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
|This article about a United States businessperson is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|