Perry Marshall in Chicago, IL
|Residence||Oak Park, Illinois|
|Alma mater||University of Nebraska|
|Occupation||Marketing strategist, author, entrepreneur|
Perry Sink Marshall (born April 10, 1969) is an American online marketing strategist, entrepreneur, and author of several books, including Evolution 2.0: Breaking the Deadlock Between Darwin and Design, Ultimate Guide to Google AdWords, and Ultimate Guide to Facebook Advertising. Marshall is also a Christian proponent of continuationism and evolutionary creation, delivering lectures and writing on these topics.
Marshall was raised in a Christian home, being the son of a pastor. Marshall graduated with a degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. He was a national sales manager at Synergetic Micro Systems prior to their purchase by Lantronix in 2001. In 2001, he founded Perry S. Marshall & Associates, a marketing consultancy, and published his first book, Industrial Ethernet - A Pocket GuideT. It was followed by a second edition, co-written with John Rinaldi. the book became an industry mainstay and textbook. Though limited on the topic of mobile networking, its coverage of the basics, and in particular power over Ethernet, became widely accepted.
Marshall has been profiled in Click Here to Order: Stories of the World's Most Successful Internet Marketing Entrepreneurs by Joel Comm and Online Marketing Heroes: Interviews with 25 Successful Online Marketing Gurus by Michael Miller.
Guerrilla Marketing and Google AdWords
Marshall started working with AdWords in 2002 soon after it was first introduced. He released Guerrilla Marketing for Hi-Tech Sales People, in which he likened the use of AdWords and emerging social media to the graffiti and flash mobs of Jay Conrad Levinson's guerrilla marketing - economical attention-getting that created a grassroots customer base. He consulted and wrote on the strategy of customers finding their vendors using the newly developing search advertising; "when the customer finds you, instead of you finding the customer, his or her perception of you is different." He documented the process and released the Definitive Guide to Google AdWords. Ultimate Guide to Google AdWords followed in 2007;
Starting with his first book on the subject, Marshall advocated AdWords split testing for market research and captured a set of guidelines for using split testing around types of ad copy and page positions that included precise wording.:289 He coined the term "AdWords stupidity tax" for the premium Google charged on broad matching of search items.
Facebook marketing and 80/20
In 2011, Marshall published Ultimate guide to Facebook advertising, in which he focused on guerrilla marketing techniques to social media.
In 2007, he was a featured consultant on The Next Internet Millionaire, a reality show hosted by Joel Comm. Marshall spoke with the contestants on Richard Koch's 80/20 rule as it applied to internet advertising and his philosophy of investing in grassroots marketing. He expanded on this philosophy in his 2013 book, 80/20 Sales and Marketing, where he discussed the rule as a possible truism across several economic bands . It has been reviewed in the Huffington Post and Inc.com reviewed it as one of the "5 Best Sales Books of 2013."
Marshall wrote about the notion of 80/20 as a fractal phenomenon which informs pricing strategy. Leonard Kim of INC Magazine summarizes: “Within every 80/20, there is another 80/20 inside of that, then another 80/20 inside that...4% of your customers will generate 64% of your revenues; 1% of your customers will generate 50% of your revenues; 0.2% of your customers will generate 40% of your revenues.”
Marshall is the author of Evolution 2.0: Breaking the Deadlock Between Darwin and Design, a text in which he discusses his support for evolutionary creation. In addition he has delivered lectures on the topic, for example, at a conference of the American Scientific Affiliation. He has also supported the theological position of continuationism; and composed a list of miracles that he personally experienced.
- 80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More (Aug, 2013) ISBN 1599185059
- Ultimate Guide to Facebook Advertising: How to Access 600 Million Customers in 10 Minutes (Ultimate Series) with Thomas Meloche (Oct, 2011) ISBN 1599184303
- Ultimate Guide to Google Adwords (Ultimate Series) with Bryan Todd (2010) ISBN 1599184303
- Ultimate Guide to Google AdWords: How to Access 100 Million People in 10 Minutes with Bryan Todd (1st 2007, 2nd 2010, 3rd 2012) ISBN 1599183609
- The Definitive Guide to Google Adwords with Bryan Todd (2006) ISBN B000V07ONK
- Industrial Ethernet: A Pocket Guide with John S. Rinaldi (Mar, 2002) ISBN 1556177887
- Industrial Ethernet, 2nd Edition with John S. Rinaldi (Aug, 2004) ISBN 1-55617-869-7
- Evolution 2.0 Breaking the Deadlock Between DARWIN and DESIGN (September, 2015) ISBN 978-1940363806
- Scarborough, Mitch Meyerson ; with Mary Eule (2008). Mastering online marketing. [Irvine, CA]: Entrepreneur Press. p. 196. ISBN 9781599181516.
- Miller, Jimmy Vee, Travis Miller, Joel Bauer ; assisted by Jennifer (2008). Gravitational marketing : the science of attracting customers ([Online-Ausg.] ed.). Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons. p. 197. ISBN 9780470226476.
- Dahl, Darren (October 17, 2012). "Small Players Seek an Alternative to the Expense of Pay-Per-Click". New York Times. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- Childred, Lonell (June 29, 21013). "Google Adwords – Seminar w Perry Marshall – Sept 2012 – meeting Perry and other speakers". http://savvytechmarketer.com. Retrieved 10 July 2013. Check date values in:
|date=(help); External link in
- "Contents - 2015 ASA Annual Meeting" (PDF). American Scientific Affiliation. 2015. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- Marshall, Perry. "Religion". Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- Thomas, George (March–April 2002). "The Marketing Communications Consultant - Perry Sink Marshall" (PDF). The Extension/ a Technical Supplement to Control Network. 3 (2). Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- Frenzel, Lou (March 26, 2008). "Industrial Networking Texts: Two Selections". Electronic Design. Penton Media, inc. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- Sands, Nick. "A Packet of Information BBB" (PDF). The International Society of Automation. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- Joyner, Joel Comm ; foreword by Mark (2008). Click here to order : stories of the world's most successful internet marketing entrepreneurs. Garden City, NY: Morgan James Publishing. pp. 146–150. ISBN 978-1600371738.
- Miller, Michael (2008). Online marketing heroes : interviews with 25 successful online marketing gurus. Indianapolis, IN: Wiley Pub. pp. 217–224. ISBN 978-0-470-24204-9.
- Howie., Jacobson, (2009). Google AdWords for dummies (2nd ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley Pub. p. 150. ISBN 9781118051726. OCLC 468816381.
- Marshall, Perry (2002). Guerilla Marketing for Hi-Tech Sales People - 21 Secrets of High-Impact, Low Cost Marketing (Audio CD). Retrieved November 20, 2017.
- Marshall, Perry. "Marketing 02". Perry Marshall & Associates. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- Marshall, Perry; Bryan Todd (February 1, 2010). "Perry". Washington Post. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- Milyan, Andrey (Summer 2006). "Interview With Search Engine Marketing Expert Perry Marshall". Search Marketing Standard. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- Jacobson, Howie; McDonald, Kristie; McDonald, Joel (2012). Google AdWords for dummies (3rd ed.). Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons. pp. 277–278, 289. ISBN 1118115619.
- Meyerson, Mitch (2005). Success secrets of the online marketing superstars. Chicago: Dearborn Trade Pub. p. 85. ISBN 1419505017.
- Riklan, Eric Taylor, David (2011-05-04). Mastering the world of marketing : the ultimate training resource from the biggest names in marketing. Hoboken, N.J.: Wiley. pp. 102–105. ISBN 0470888415.
- Marshall, Perry; Thomas Meloche (September 25, 2012). "How Facebook Tools Can Revitalize Ad Campaigns". Entrepreneur Magazine. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- Comm, Jaime Luchuck ; forward by Joel (2008). From cubicle slave to the next Internet millionaire. New York: Madeeasy Pub. pp. 205–222. ISBN 1600373720.
- Marshall, Perry (August 2013). 80/20 Sales and Marketing. Entrepreneur Press. p. 115. ISBN 1599185059.
- Fox, John (2013-08-12). "Sell More By Achieving 'Good Enough'". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- "5 Best Sales Books of 2013". Inc.com. 10 December 2013. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- Marshall, Perry. "Documented Miracles: Lie #8: "Miracles ceased with the disciples."". Coffeehouse Theology. Retrieved 11 March 2017.