|Alma mater||University of Nebraska|
|Occupation||Marketing consultant, author|
Work and publications
Marshall was a national sales manager at Synergetic Micro Systems; he left in 2001 after the company was bought by Lantronix. He started a marketing consultancy, Perry S. Marshall & Associates, and published his first book, Industrial Ethernet: A Pocket Guide. It was followed by second and third editions, co-written with John Rinaldi.
In 2002, he released Guerrilla Marketing for Hi-Tech Sales People, an audio CD. With Bryan Todd, he wrote The Definitive Guide to Google AdWords in 2006, and Ultimate Guide to Google AdWords in 2007.
In 2011, with Thomas Meloche, Marshall published Ultimate Guide to Facebook Advertising.
He wrote 80/20 Sales and Marketing, published in 2013, expanding on Richard Koch's 80/20 rule, as it applies to various areas in the operation of a business. Inc. reviewed it as one of the "5 Best Sales Books of 2013".
In 2015, he published Evolution 2.0: Breaking the Deadlock Between Darwin And Design (BenBella Books, Inc., ISBN 978-1940363806), a publicly accessible account of scientific progress supporting extended evolutionary synthesis.
The book accepts the process of Natural Selection, but based on the work of Barbara McClintock, Lynn Margulis, James A. Shapiro and Denis Noble, rejects the hypothesis that variation arises primarily from random DNA copying errors. It summarises the argument of Hubert Yockey that DNA transcription and translation are encoding and decoding as defined in information theory expounded by Claude Shannon and not derivable from currently known laws of physics. He provides an overview of the following mechanisms, which he regards as more likely sources of variation:
- Epigenetics – heritable phenotype changes that do not involve alterations in the DNA sequence
- Transposition – the rearrangement of DNA segments to different locations in the gene
- Horizontal gene transfer – the transfer of genetic material between organisms
- Hybridization – the outcome of sexual reproduction between two distinct species
- Symbiogenesis – the theory that some organelles of eukaryotic cells are descended from formerly free-living prokaryotes
Evolution 2.0 Technology Prize
Marshall has organized a private equity group and created the Evolution 2.0 prize, which is presently a $10 million reward for an Origin Of Information experiment that can be specified as a patentable process. He announced the prize at the Royal Society in May 2019.
The Evolution 2.0 prize is offered to anyone who can demonstrate a spontaneously arising communication system that matches Claude Shannon’s 1948 definition. Marshall says that if claims that codes are an emergent property of nature are true, then the problem should be in principle solvable and commercially valuable. He suggests that such a discovery would produce breakthrough results in Artificial Intelligence research.
Submissions will be evaluated by a judging panel consisting of:
- George Church, Harvard & MIT
- Denis Noble, Oxford University
- Michael Ruse, Florida State University
- Miller, Jimmy Vee, Travis Miller, Joel Bauer ; assisted by Jennifer (2008). Gravitational Marketing : The Science of Attracting Customers ([Online-Ausg.] ed.). Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons. p. 197. ISBN 9780470226476.
- Dahl, Darren (October 17, 2012). "Small Players Seek an Alternative to the Expense of Pay-Per-Click". The New York Times. Retrieved July 16, 2021.
- Marshall, Perry. "Religion". Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- "Q&A with Co-Author of New Edition of ISA Book Industrial Ethernet | ISA Sarnia".
- Thomas, George (March–April 2002). "The Marketing Communications Consultant - Perry Sink Marshall" (PDF). The Extension/ A Technical Supplement to Control Network. 3 (2). Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- Frenzel, Lou (March 26, 2008). "Industrial Networking Texts: Two Selections". Electronic Design. Penton Media, inc. Retrieved July 16, 2021.
- Scarborough, Mitch Meyerson; with Mary Eule (2008). Mastering online marketing. [Irvine, CA]: Entrepreneur Press. pp. 196. ISBN 9781599181516.
- Joel Comm, foreword by Mark Joyner (2008). Click Here to Order: Stories of the World's Most Successful Internet Marketing Entrepreneurs. Garden City, NY: Morgan James Publishing. pp. 146–150. ISBN 978-1600371738.
- Miller, Michael (2008). Online marketing heroes: interviews with 25 successful online marketing gurus. Indianapolis, IN: Wiley Pub. pp. 217–224. ISBN 978-0-470-24204-9.
- Marshall, Perry (2002). Guerilla Marketing for Hi-Tech Sales People - 21 Secrets of High-Impact, Low Cost Marketing (Audio CD).
- Jacobson, Howie; McDonald, Kristie; McDonald, Joel (2012). Google AdWords for dummies (3rd ed.). Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons. pp. 277–278, 289. ISBN 978-1118115619.
- Marshall, Perry (August 2013). 80/20 Sales and Marketing. Entrepreneur Press. p. 115. ISBN 978-1599185057.
- James, Geoffrey (10 December 2013). "5 Best Sales Books of 2013". Inc. Retrieved July 16, 2021.
- Marshall, Perry. "L'80/20 è una legge di natura frattale (Giugno 2018)". Harvard Business Review Italia.
- Liu, Jinsong (2021). "Giant cells: Linking McClintock's heredity to early embryogenesis and tumor origin throughout millennia of evolution on Earth". Seminars in Cancer Biology. doi:10.1016/j.semcancer.2021.06.007. PMID 34116161.
- "Entrepreneurs offer $10m prize for cracking mystery of DNA". Financial Times. June 2, 2019. Retrieved July 16, 2021.
- "Origin of Life: $10 Million Prize at the Royal Society – VOX Site". July 16, 2019. Retrieved July 16, 2021.
- "Evolution 2.0 AI & Origin of Life Challenge, $10M Prize | HeroX".