This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Perry G. Mehrling
|Professor of Economics at Barnard College/Columbia university|
Perry G. Mehrling
August 14, 1959
Perry G. Mehrling (born August 14, 1959) was professor of economics at Barnard College in New York City for 30 years. He is now Professor of Economics at the Pardee School of Global Studies at Boston University. He specializes in the study of financial theory within the history of economics.
Perry Gandhi Mehrling received his A.B (magna cum laude) and his Ph.D. from Harvard University and his M.Sc. from the London School of Economics. Mehrling was valedictorian of the class of 1977 at Boston Latin School. He was Professor in the Economics Department at Barnard College/Columbia University for 30 years until 2017 and is the Director of Educational Programs at the Institute for New Economic Thinking, a global not for profit organization dedicated to changing the way economics is currently taught. He teaches the hugely popular "Economics of Money and Banking" MOOC on the Coursera website.
Mehrling is the author of The Money Interest and the Public Interest: American Monetary Thought, 1920-1970 as well as a recent biography of Fischer Black, Fischer Black and the Revolutionary Idea of Finance.
- The New Lombard Street. How the Fed Became a Dealer of Last Resort. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ 2011, Linen: ISBN 978-0-691-14398-9, e-book: ISBN 978-1-4008-3626-0
He wrote his thesis under Meghnad Desai and Douglas Gale at the London School of Economics. It was published by the University of Chicago's Journal of Political Economy. It synthesized differential game-theoretic models of capitalism, due to Kelvin Lancaster and Richard M. Goodwin. Gale's general equilibrium handbooks on monetary economics acknowledge Merhling's assistance.
- "Perry Mehrling". Barnard College. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "Team". Institute for New Economic Thinking. Archived from the original on 2013-09-27. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "Perry G Mehrling". Coursera. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- When the Everyday Was Revolutionary
- Mehrling, Perry G. (December 1986). "A classical model of the class struggle: A game-theoretic approach". The Journal of Political Economy. University of Chicago. 94 (6): 1280–1303. doi:10.1086/261433. JSTOR 1833099.
- * Gale, Douglas (1982). Money: in equilibrium. Cambridge economic handbooks. 2. Cambridge, U.K.: Cambridge University Press. p. 349. ISBN 978-0-521-28900-9.