|Municipal assoc.||Sankt Goar-Oberwesel|
|• Mayor||Michael Jäckel|
|• Total||18.51 km2 (7.15 sq mi)|
|Elevation||430 m (1,410 ft)|
|• Density||19/km2 (49/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Vehicle registration||SIM, GOA|
Perscheid is an Ortsgemeinde – a municipality belonging to a Verbandsgemeinde, a kind of collective municipality – in the Rhein-Hunsrück-Kreis (district) in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. It belongs to the Verbandsgemeinde of Sankt Goar-Oberwesel, whose seat is in the town of Oberwesel.
The municipality lies on the eastern edge of the Hunsrück on a mountain ridge between the Rhine Gorge and the Autobahn A 61, roughly 4 km southwest of Oberwesel. Perscheid is the southernmost municipality in the Verbandsgemeinde of Sankt Goar-Oberwesel.
Digs and gravesite finds around Perscheid show that there were settlers here in Hallstatt times (about 1500 to 1200 BC). Archaeological finds such as coins, foundations and fragments of temples from Roman times furthermore point to an occupation at that time. In 1248, Perscheid had its first documentary mention as Dorfschaft Perrischeit. Authority was exercised by the Electorate of Trier. Beginning in 1794, Perscheid lay under French rule. In 1815 it was assigned to the Kingdom of Prussia at the Congress of Vienna. Since 1946, it has been part of the then newly founded state of Rhineland-Palatinate.
Perscheid's mayor is Michael Jäckel. He became mayor on 14 November 2007 after Hugo Hübel had resigned the office on 20 May 2007 after 18½ years.
Coat of arms
The German blazon reads: In silbern über Rot gespaltenem Schilde vorn ein rotes Balkenkreuz, hinten eine ausgerichtete silberne vierendige Hirschstange.
The cross on the dexter (armsbearer's right, viewer's left) side is a reference to the village's former allegiance to the Electorate of Trier. The “stag’s attire” refers to the wealth of woodlands and game found within the municipality's limits.
The municipality's flag colours are silver and red.
Culture and sightseeing
- Not far from the village is the Hochwildschutzpark Rheinböllen (game reserve).
- Neighbouring the village to the southwest is one of Rhineland-Palatinate’s biggest nature conservation areas (a Naturschutzgebiet). The raised bog is home to many rare plant species such as orchids, Daphne and Arnica montana. Here, too, the remnants of the vanished village of Volkenbach can be found, as well as traces of Roman settlement on the cadastral area “Hellenpütz” and Celtic graves. The surrounding area is riven with galleries of the Bacharach slate mine and former copper mines.
- "Bevölkerungsstand 2018 - Gemeindeebene". Statistisches Landesamt Rheinland-Pfalz (in German). 2019.
- Municipal election results for Perscheid
- Perscheid’s mayor Archived 2011-03-10 at the Wayback Machine
- Description and explanation of ’s arms Archived 2011-03-10 at the Wayback Machine
- Directory of Cultural Monuments in Rhein-Hunsrück district