|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Persefone performing at Turock Open Air 2015
|Genres||Progressive metal, melodic death metal, symphonic metal, neoclassical metal|
|Members||Marc Martins Pia
Jordi Gorgues Mateu
Carlos Lozano Quintanilla
Miguel Espinosa Ortiz
Toni Mestre Coy
|Past members||Aleix Dorca
Marc Mas Marti
Persefone was founded in early 2001 in the small nation of Andorra; founding members are Carlos Lozano Quintanilla, Jordi Gorgues Mateu, Toni Mestre Coy, and Xavi Pérez. In 2002 they were joined by Miguel Espinosa Ortiz.
The first song they composed was "Niflheim (The Eyes That Hold The Edge)". The song suggested what the band wanted: melody, complexity and aggression, and it was influenced from other melodic death metal bands such as Arch Enemy, In Flames, and Dark Tranquillity. A demo was soon recorded, and the concept of the album took shape: the five soul illnesses combined with the transition from life to death.[clarification needed] A 6-track demo became an LP with the help of Claus Jensen and Intromental Management; Truth Inside the Shades was recorded at Orion Studios and mastered by Peter in de Betou for Taylor Maid Productions.
Some gigs were scheduled, but Pérez left the band, and was replaced by Aleix Dorca Josa, producer of the band, who joined it to perform drums. Also, Marc Marti became the lead singer, taking over for Quintanilla. After this, Truth Inside the Shades was released worldwide through Soundholic Records (Japan), Cd-Maximum (Russia and Baltic States), and Adipocere Records (Europe and United States).
The next album, a longer concept album, relates the story of Persephone, the Greek goddess for which the band was named. In August 2006, Core was released in Japan through Soundholic Records. In 2007, a year after its Japanese release, Persefone signed a deal with Greek label Burning Star Records, and in August the album was released worldwide.
In 2010, the band released its new, Japanese-influenced album Shin-Ken and in March 2010 they supported Obituary in a tour.
- Toni Mestre Coy - bass (2001-present)
- Carlos Lozano Quintanilla - guitar (2001-present) vocals (2001-2004)
- Miguel Espinoza - keyboards, vocals (2002-present)
- Mark Martins Pia - vocals (2004-present)
- Sergi Verdeguer - drums (2015-present)
- Filipe Baldaia - guitar (2016-present)
- Xavi Perez - drums (2001-2003)
- Jordi Gorgues Mateu - guitar (2001-2016)
- Aleix Dorca Josa - drums (2003-2006)
- Marc Mas Marti - drums (2006-2014)
- Born, R. "Persefone". MusicMight. Retrieved 2009-07-16.
- ‘Shin-ken’, nou disc del grup andorrà Persefone
- La banda de Death Metal Persefone, de gira per Europa
- El Rockòdrom tornarà a apostar per la qualitat i reduirà el nombre de concerts
- Mordigans, Nami i Persefone s'instal·len als locals d'Encamp
- Official Persefone website, http://www.persefone.com
- "Marc Mas Leaves Persefone". 2014-08-05. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- "PERSEFONE Announce New Album; European Headline Tour". Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles. September 6, 2016. Retrieved September 6, 2016.