Perth Amboy station
Perth Amboy Station, April 2015.
|Location||Elm Street between Smith & Market Streets
Perth Amboy, NJ
|Owned by||New Jersey Transit|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections||NJT Bus: 48, 116, 813, 815, and 817|
|Passengers (2012)||874 (average weekday)|
Perth Amboy Station
Perth Amboy station's eastbound entrance.
|Location||Perth Amboy, New Jersey, USA|
|NRHP Reference #||84002735|
|Added to NRHP||June 22, 1984|
Perth Amboy is a station on New Jersey Transit's North Jersey Coast Line, located in Perth Amboy, Middlesex County, New Jersey, United States, 1½ miles south of Woodbridge and 2½ miles north of South Amboy. The station is located in a cut between Elm Street and Maple Street and between Smith Street and Market Street in downtown Perth Amboy, and has two low side platforms. A ticket office is located at street level. The platforms are below street level in the cut.
The station building was built in the 1920s to replace an older structure built by the Central Railroad of New Jersey that was moved to Lewis Street and currently serves as a private residence there. It been listed in the state and federal registers of historic places since 1984 and is part of the Operating Passenger Railroad Stations Thematic Resource.
The station was refurbished in the 1990s. On June 16, 2010, New Jersey Transit (NJT) announced a $1 million (2010 USD) deal with Stantec Consulting Services in Rochelle Park, New Jersey to study the addition of high-level platforms for handicap accessibility, per the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) The platform renovation will also include canopies, elevators to street-level and upgrades to communication systems. New Jersey Transit in its 2015 budget allocated $9.6 million for the final design for a major renovation that would modernize it and make it compliant with the ADA.
|■ North Jersey Coast Line||toward New York or Hoboken (Woodbridge)|
|■ North Jersey Coast Line||toward Bay Head (South Amboy)|
- List of New Jersey Transit stations
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Middlesex County, New Jersey
- Perth Amboy Ferry Slip
- "North Jersey Coast Timetables" (PDF). Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. November 7, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- Wang, Paul W.; Massopust, Katherine A. (2009). Perth Amboy (Then and Now). Charleston, SC: Arcadia. p. 52. ISBN 978-0-7385-6241-4.
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS". New Jersey Transit. December 27, 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 27, 2012. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- National Park Service (2006-03-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places". New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection - Historic Preservation Office. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Perth Amboy New Jersey Transit Railroad Station Survey
- "NJ Transit Advances Perth Amboy Station Improvements" (Press release). June 16, 2010. Retrieved June 16, 2010.
- Epstein, Sue (July 18, 2014). "NJ Transit earmarks $9.6 million for rehabilitation of Perth Amboy train station". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Perth Amboy (NJT station).|