Perturbator at Rock am Ring in 2017
|Birth name||James Kent|
|Genres||Electronic, Synthwave, Dark wave, Industrial|
|Associated acts||L'Enfant De La Forêt, GosT, Dan Terminus, Carpenter Brut|
Kent has a background as a guitarist in several black metal bands. Since 2012, he has produced electronic music inspired by cyberpunk culture and with inspiration from movies like Akira, Ghost In The Shell and The Running Man. He uses a variety of software synths in his productions, such as the emulators of old vintage synths like the OB-X or the CS-80. Since his debut EP Night Driving Avenger he has released four full-length albums, the latest of which is New Model on the Blood Music label, and has performed several live shows. Several of his tracks were featured in the 2012 game Hotline Miami and its 2015 sequel Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number. Perturbator's EP Sexualizer was released in part to officially release the song "Miami Disco" and as a way to thank the developers of Hotline Miami. The success of the Hotline Miami games resulted in a greater amount of exposure to a mainstream audience.
Perturbator released his fourth full-length album The Uncanny Valley on 6 May 2016 through Blood Music on a range of formats including Digibook CD, vinyl, and cassette tape. The album was met with generally positive reviews, with MetalSucks and Bloody Disgusting both writing in praise of it. Some versions of the album also included a bonus EP, with Kent writing that "The first three songs complement the themes covered within The Uncanny Valley, and the final track—'VERS/US'—is a demo from The Uncanny Valley writing sessions that fits the mood and atmosphere of the album but didn't quite make it into the final cut." Bloody Disgusting gave the album 5/5 and wrote that The Uncanny Valley "is sure to not only please fans of the genre but also win over newcomers."
Kent became interested in music in part due to the influence of his parents, who are journalists and rock music critics. His parents were themselves musicians and had a tech trance band when they were young, which influenced Kent to take an interest in synthesizers.
Kent also has a side project called L'Enfant De La Forêt.
- TERROR 404 (May 2012, Self Released)
- I Am the Night (December 2012, Self Released)
- Dangerous Days (June 2014, Blood Music / Telefuture Records)
- The Uncanny Valley (May 2016, Blood Music)
- Night Driving Avenger (March 2012, Self Released)
- Nocturne City (August 2012, Aphasia Records)
- The 80s Slasher (October 2012, together with Protector 101, Aphasia Records)
- Split (March 2013, Revolving Door Records) - Collaboration between Perturbator and Protector 101
- Sexualizer (June 2013, Aphasia Records)
- The Uncanny Valley - Bonus (May 2016, Blood Music)
- New Model (September 2017, Blood Music / Music of the Void)
- "She Moves Like a Knife" (January 2014)
- "She Is Young, She Is Beautiful, She Is Next" (March 2015)
- "Assault" (April 2015)
- "Tactical Precision Disarray" (December 2016)
- "Vantablack" (August 2017)
- Hunt, Jon (9 April 2014). "We Will Rock You: Welcome To The Future. This is Synthwave". l'etoile. Archived from the original on 25 September 2016. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "Perturbator - Music". Soundcloud. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "Interview: James Kent Discusses Perturbator Project, New Album, & more Tunecore Blog. Retrieved June 6, 2016.
- "RIDING THE CYBER DOOM SYNTHWAVE WITH PERTURBATOR". Noisey. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "Interview with Perturbator (Worship the Gods of VHS)". Deaf Sparrow. Retrieved 9 October 2014.
- "Perturbator - Bandcamp". Bandcamp. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "Perturbator - I am the night". MusicReview. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- Small Talk: Perturbator (James Kent). Small Talk. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- "Perturbator - Perturbator "The Uncanny Valley – Bonus" EP... | Facebook". www.facebook.com. February 26, 2016. Retrieved May 5, 2016.
- Barkan, Jonathan (2016-05-05). "Perturbator's 'The Uncanny Valley' is Sheer Synth Bliss (Album Review) - Bloody Disgusting!". Bloody Disgusting!. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "Interview with James Kent (Perturbator)". Disco Unchained. Retrieved 19 July 2013.
- "Did You Know PERTURBATOR's James Kent Has A Creepy Industrial/Ambient Type Project?" Metal Injection. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Perturbator Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved May 5, 2016.
- "Perturbator | The Legend Says He's Half Human, Half Synthesizer..." www.perturbator.com. Retrieved May 5, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Perturbator.|