|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (April 2016)|
|Born||Michaella McCollum and Melissa Reid|
|Known for||drug smuggling|
|Criminal charge||smuggling cocaine|
|Criminal penalty||6 years, 8 months|
|Criminal status||McCollum returned home to Ireland, Reid returned home to Scotland|
The Peru Two are two women, Michaella McCollum Connolly from Dungannon, Northern Ireland, and Melissa Reid from Glasgow, Scotland, both 20 when they were arrested on 6 August 2013 for drug smuggling at Jorge Chávez International Airport in Lima, Peru, after their luggage was found to contain 11 kg of cocaine.
They initially claimed they had been forced to carry the drugs by an armed gang but subsequently pleaded guilty to drug smuggling. On 17 December 2013, the pair were sentenced to 6 years and eight months in prison.
In early 2016, both women made attempts to return to the United Kingdom. McCollum applied to be freed on parole, and was released on 31 March 2016: however, she will have to remain in Peru for up to six years. In April, the Peruvian authorities agreed to expel Reid from the country: she was released from prison on 21 June and immediately returned home to Scotland.
The women have received extensive press coverage in Peru, the United Kingdom, Ireland and also around the world since their arrest. They took up coveted positions training in beauty therapy in a bid to become hair stylists in the Ancón 2 prison.
- "Fresh claims the 'Peru Two' arrest was a diversion for other drug mules". Irish Central. September 6, 2013. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- McDonald, Henry (17 December 2013). "British drug mules jailed for more than six years in Peru". The Guardian. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- "Peru drug mule Michaelle McCollum could face four-year wait to return home". Mirror. 27 April 2016.
- "Michaella McCollum Connolly released on parole from jail in Peru". Irish Mirror. 1 April 2016.
- "One Of The 'Peru Two' British Drug Smugglers Has Been Released". Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- "Peru drugs mule Melissa Reid to return to UK very soon". Daily Telegraph. 26 April 2016.
- "Peru Two Take up Beauty Therapy in the Ancon 2 Prison". Mirror. 7 June 2015.
- "Peru Two Featured in New Television Documentary Brits Behind Bars". Mirror. 10 August 2015.
|This article related to Peru is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This crime-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|