Perumbadavom Sreedharan (Malayalam: പെരുമ്പടവം ശ്രീധരന്) (born 12 February 1938) is a prolific Malayalam author from Kerala state, South India. He is the present Chairman of Kerala Sahithya Academy. He has written several novels and short stories. One of his most famous and critically acclaimed novels is Oru Sankeerthanam Pole (1993) for which he won the Vayalar Award in 1996. In 2006, he was awarded the Malayattoor Award for his novel, Narayanam.
Born in the village of Perumpadavom, in Muvattupuzha, Ernakulam district of Kerala, Perumpadavom (as he is often called) started his literary career by writing poetry. He later shifted to short stories and novels. Perumbadavom has also authored scripts for 12 malayalam films and has won Kerala State Film Award for Sooryadanam (1989). Sreedharan has been noted for his connection with the Russian language and is recognized by some as a doyen of Malayam literature.
Oru Sankeerthanam Pole
The novel Oru Sankeerthanam Pole was first published in 1993 and was released in its 37th edition on 1 November 2008 after setting publishing records in 2005. It is a story based on the life of famous Russian writer, Fyodor Dostoyevsky and his wife Anna. This highly successful novel has sold over 100,000 copies in about 12 years. This is a record in Malayalam literature.
Some of Perumbadavom's selected works include
- Abhayam (The Shelter)
- Anthiveyilile Ponnu (The Gold in the Dusk)
- Kaalvariyilekku Veendum
- Pinneyum Pookkunna Kadu (The Forest That Bloom Again)
- Greeshmajwalakal (The Flames of Summer)
- Ottachilambu (Single Anklet)
- Ezhamvaathil (The Seventh Gate)
- Ninte Koodarathinarike (Near Your Tent)
- Venanil Pookunna Maram (The Tree That Blossom in Summer)
- Iruttil Parakkunna Pakshi (The Bird That Fly in Dark)
- Kripanidiyude Kottaram
- Ilathumbukalile Mazha (The Rain At the Leaf's End)
- Dhoorangal Kadannu (A Long Long Way)
- Ente Hrudayathinte Udama (The Master of My Heart)
- Oru Sankeerthanam Pole (Like a Hymn)
- Vaalmunayil Vachacha Manassu
- Pradakshina Vazhy
- Kadal Pole Kadal
- Vayalar Award (1996)
- Kerala Sahithya Academy Award
- Malayattoor Award
- Kerala State Film Award (1980)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Perumbadavam Sreedharan.|
- Celebrating a milestone – Hindu article
- Vayalar Award page (in Malayalam)
- "Malayattoor Award for Perumbadavam". The Hindu. 2006-07-12. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Kerala State Film Awards
- "The Russian Connection". The Hindu. 2007-07-17. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Delightful days ahead for booklovers". Express News Service. The New Indian Express Group. 29 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Oru Sankeerthanam Pole at Indulekha
- Perumbadavam Sreedharan works at Puzha.com (in Malayalam)
- Hindu article about Malayattoor Award
|This article about an Indian writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to Kerala is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|