Electricity Board Perumbavoor
|• Municipal Chairperson||T M Zakkirhusain.|
|• Municipal Vice Chairperson||Shiba Baby|
|• Total||13.61 km2 (5.25 sq mi)|
|Elevation||33 m (108 ft)|
|• Density||2,065.4/km2 (5,349/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Coastline||0 kilometres (0 mi)|
|Climate||Tropical monsoon (Köppen)|
|Avg. summer temperature||35 °C (95 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||20 °C (68 °F)|
Perumbavoor (Malayalam: പെരുമ്പാവൂർ ) is a historic place located at Bank of Periyar (Poorna River) in Ernakulam District in the Indian state of Kerala. It lies in the north-eastern tip of the Greater Cochin area and is also the headquarters of Kunnathunad Taluk. Perumbavoor is famed in the state for wood industries and small-scale industries. Ernakulam lies 30 km southwest of Perumbavoor. The town lies between Angamaly and Muvattupuzha on the Main Central Road (MC), which connects Thiruvananthapuram to Angamaly through the old Travancore part of Kerala. Perumbavoor lies in the banks of rivers Periyar and Muvattupuzha.
Perumbavoor has many immigrants from other parts of India, including West Bengal, Orissa, and Uttar Pradesh. Most work in the plywood or other industries. Tamils, Assamese and Nepalese have special colonies of their own.
The state government and the GCDA have plans to include Angamaly, Perumbavoor, Piravom and Kolenchery in Ernakulam district; Mala and Kodungallur in Thrissur district; Thalayolaparambu and Vaikom in Kottayam ; and Cherthala in Alappuzha district within the Kochi metropolitan limits. The newly formed metropolis would be put under the charge of a new authority called Kochi Metropolitan Regional Development Authority.
This section needs expansion with: additional citations. You can help by adding to it. (April 2017)
Perumbavoor municipality was formed in 1936. It was one among the 4 Panchayats sanctioned by Sir C. P. Ramaswamy Iyer (Diwan-Thiruvithamcore). The others were Paravur, Nedumangad and Boothapandi.South Vallam juma-majid is the first mosque in Ernakulam district about 800years old. Perumbavoor constituency is one of the most Jacobite Christian populated area in India.
Perumbavoor assembly constituency is a part of Chalakudy (Lok Sabha constituency). Eldhose Kunnapilly is the current MLA from Perumbavoor and Benny Behanan is the current MP.
Its jurisdiction formerly encompassed the towns of Alwaye and Kolenchery, which were separated later. It has a Judicial Magistrate of the First Class, Motor Accident Claims Tribunal, Subordinate Judge's Court (Sub-court).
Perumbavoor is a predominantly agricultural town and Asia's Largest plywood industries. Commodities like rubber, pepper, ginger, turmeric, plantain, vegetables, coconut, nutmeg, cocoa, rice, arecanut, cloves, etc. are traded every day in the local market. Most of these commodities are supplied to mainstream exporters in Kochi or to local retailers. Rest of the economy is shared by government and private sectors and small industries. Perumbavoor is an important city for timber trade in Kerala.
The economy of Perumbavoor town is highly dependent on more than one lakh migrant workers from different Indian states. Perumbavoor provides all facilities to them, like labour camps, social awareness programs, entertainment programs, and health and educational care, including a special school for children of migrant workers.
Pictures of the town taken on 9 July-2012 at 8:00 AM Historic images of the town are liked by all, please add more recent or old pictures or videos with approximate time stamp (picture speaks more than a 1000 words)
- D. Babu Paul - IAS
- Perumbavoor G. Raveendranath - Indian Musician
- Jayaram - actor and mimicry artist
- Roshni Suresh - Playback Singer and All India Radio Artist
- Antony Perumbavoor - Film Producer
- P.P Thankachan - Politician
- T. H. Musthafa - Politician
- M. K. Sankaran Namboothiri - classical musician
- Dinesh Prabhakar - actor
- Asha Sarath - classical dancer and actor
- Kalidas Jayaram - Actor
- Basil Thampi - Cricketer
- Mariam Vattalil - Indian Social Worker
- Khadeeja - Indian actress
- N. N. Pisharody - Director
- Mithra Kurian - Indian Actress
- Ananya - Indian Actress
- Saju Paul - Indian Politician
- Baselios Augen I - Indian Catholicose
- Gopal Krishna Pillai - Home Secretary of India
- Roopesh Peethambaran - Indian film director
- Swasika - Actress
- Muralee Thummarukudy - Chief of Disaster Risk Reduction in the UN
- Renuka Arun - Carnatic Vocalist, Playback Singer
KL-40 is the RTO code for Kunnathunad Taluk and Perumbavoor. Perumbavoor JRTO is situated at Pattal. Perumbavoor has got a KSRTC Subdepot operating several long-distance services to places inside and outside Kerala. Private bus services run into several neighbouring towns. AutoRickshaws are commonly used for small distances. There is frequent bus services to Ernakulam, Aluva, Angamaly, Kothamangalam, Muvattupuzha, Kolenchery, Thrippunithura etc. from here. The nearest railway stations are Angamaly and Aluva. The Cochin International Airport at Nedumbassery is only 14 km from the town.
Perumbavoor is surrounded by many small but populous commuter villages, connected to the town by bus services. The notable ones are Vallam, Koovappady, Vengola, Mudickal, Thottuva, Ponjassery, Manjappetty, Kodanad, Akanad, Alattuchira, Panamkuzhy, Cheranalloor, Punnayam, Odakkaly, Panichayam, Payyal, Nedungapra, Kallil, Malayidomthuruth, Kottapady, Keezhillam etc. Kuruppampady town, is one of the main interchange points for public transport.
Places To Visit
- Paniyely Poru.
- Kaprikkadu Abhayarnyam.
- Kodanad Elephant Training Camp.
- Periyar River
- Thottuva dhanwanthari temple
- Kalady Shankara Stoopam.
- Kallil Jain Temple.
- Iringol Kavu Forest.
- Nagancherry Mana.
- Pettamala Mountain Top.
- Puliyanipara Mountain.
- Amrita Vidyalayam
- Jai Bharath Arts And Science College, Perumbavoor
- Sree Sankara Vidhyapeetom College
- Sree Sankara Vidyapeetom College, Airapuram, Valayanchirangara
- KMP College of Arts & Science, Perumbavoor
- Marthoma College of Management & Technology (MCMAT), Perumbavoor
- Mar Thoma College for Women, Perumbavoor
- Adishankara Institute of Engineering Technology, Kalady
- Jama-ath Higher Secondary school, Thandekkad
- Nusrathul Islamic V.H.S.S, Marampally
- Queen Mary's English Medium High School, Mudickal
- Govt.H.S.S, Mudickal
- Asram Higher Secondary School, Perumbavoor
- Govt Boys Higher Secondary School, Perumbavoor
- Govt Girls Higher Secondary School, Perumbavoor
- St Thomas Public School, Iringole
Even though Perumbavoor has a Government Taluk Headquarters hospital, and several private hospitals, numerous dental health care centers, hi-tech labs, health care sector remains underdeveloped especially for trauma, emergency and specialty health care.
- Government Taluk Hospital,
- ESI Hospital,
- Sanjoe Hospital,
- Vathiyayath Hospital,
- M V Joseph Memorial Hospital, *Government Ayurveda Hospital, *Parathuvayalil Hospital,
- Bharath Hospital,
- Mount Senai Mission Hospital,
- SN Mission Hospital,
- Luke Memorial Eye Hospital
- Government Hospital vengola
- Dr ARUN SHAJIS Ideal Mind Care Hospital, VENGOLA
- St. Mary's syrian Cathedral, Kuruppampady is one of the oldest churches in Perumbavoor
- SH Church, Aimury, Perumbavoor
- St. Pauls Marthoma Church, Perumbavoor.
- Evangelistic Association of the East, Head Office & Orphanage
- St. Thomas Evangelical Church of India, AM Road, Perumbavoor
- San Thome Malankara Catholic Church, MC Road, Perumbavoor Town
- Bethel Suloko Orthodox Syrian Cathedral, Perumbavoor Town
- St. Mary's Catholic Church, MC Road. Perumbavoor Town
- St. George Latin Catholic Church, MC Road. Perumbavoor
- Mar Kauma Jacobite Syriac Orthodox Church Vengoor.
- Brotheren Assembly Asramam Perumbavoor.
- Independent Baptist Church Kuruppampady.
- Mar Malke Orthodox Church, Kodanad
- St. Mary's Jacobite Syrian Church, Thurithiply
- St. Peter & Paul's Church, Mudukkari Kuruppampady
- South Vallam juma-masjid, Perumbavoor. Is the first mosque in Ernakulam (about 900years old)
- Town Central Juma-masjid, Perumbavoor
- Akashwani Masjid, Near Pathipalam, Perumbavoor
- Vallam Rayonpuram Juma-masjid, Perumbavoor
- Vallam Junction Juma-masjid (SH) Airport road
- Madina Masjid, Near Pvt bus stand Perumbavoor
- Meca Masjid, A.M Road Perumbavoor
- Juma Masjid Mudickal (3.5 km) The second largest Masjid in Kerala.
- Kandanthara Juma Masjid, Kandanthara, Perumbavoor Kandanthara is the largest populated Muslim Jamaath in Ernakulam district
- Parappuram Juma Masjid Parappuram Vallam,Perumbavoor.
- Poopani Muslim Juma Masjid Poopani Perumbavoor
- Juma Masjid Thandakkad, Perumbavoor.
- Vengola Hydrose Muslim Jamaath, West Vengola
- Pallipram Padinjare Muslim Jama'ath PuthanPalli,West Mudickal
- Kuzhupilli kavu, Perumbavoor
- Alppara kavu, Onnam mile, Perumbavoor
- Naklikkattu Kalari Bhadrakali Temple Allapra
- Naklikkattu Naga Paradevatha Temple Allapra
- Valakara Temple Allapra
- Pisharikkal Bhagavathy temple, Aimury, Perumbavoor
- Punnayam mahadeva temple, punnayam
- Iringol kavu which is the largest Kavu in Kerala
- Koottumadom Sree Subramanya Swami Temple, Rayamangalam
- Perumbavoor Sri Dharmasastha Temple
- Kallil Temple, Kallil Bhgavathi Cave Temple
- Thottuva Dhanwanthari temple (8 km from Perumbavoor)
- Chelattu Kavu Mookambika & Bhadhrakali Temple, Aimury
- Devi Temple Vengoor
- Chelamattom Shree Krishna Swami Temple
- Aananthanath Bhagavath Temple Mudakkuzha
How to Reach
Perumbavoor, lies in the north eastern corner of Kochi urban area. The geographic advantages of Perumbavoor is that, NH 47 lies closer to this town apart from Main Central Road and Aluva-Munnar highway passing through this place. Perumbavoor is surrounded by important towns like Aluva, Muvattupuzha, Angamaly etc. in close distances. Important suburban regions of Kochi like Aluva, Kalamassery, Kakkanad, Thrippunithura are all in close proximity to Perumbavoor.
- Kochi- Edapally-Pookkattupady-Chembarakky (34 km)
- Thodupuzha- Vazhakkulam-Muvattupuzha-Keezhillam (41 km)
- Thrissur- Chalakudy-Angamaly (59 km)
- Kottayam- Ettumanoor-Koothattukulam-Muvattupuzha (76 km)
- Alappuzha- Cherthala-Kundannoor Junction-Petta Junction-Pallikkara-Kizhakkambalam (85 km)
- Munnar- Pallivasal-Adimaly-Kothamangalam (98 km)
- Trivandrum- Kottarakkara- Pandalam - Changanassery-Kottayam-Muvattupuzha (228 km)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Perumbavoor.|
- Ernakulam District website
- Places of worship in Perumbavoor
- Remaining Date for Perumbavoor Municipality Election 2020