Peruvanam Kuttan Marar
Peruvanam Kuttan Marar
|Birth name||M Sankara Narayanan|
|Born||25 November 1953|
Peruvanam, Thrissur, Kerala, India
Peruvanam Kuttan Marar is a chenda artist. He leads several popular traditional orchestra performances in Kerala. He is a recipient of Padma Shri award in the year 2011 for his contributions in the field of art.
Peruvanam Kuttan Marar was born to a family of chenda artists in Peruvanam, Thrissur, Kerala. His grandfather, Peruvanam Narayana Marar and his father, Peruvanam Appu Marar were also well-known chenda artists. His teachers include his father, Kumarapuram Appu Marar and Sreenarayanapuram Appu Marar. He made his debut with Chenda at the age of 10. He performed at festivals in nearby temples including Peruvanam Mahadeva Temple. He also joined as a clerk in C N N Boys' High School, Cherpu at the age of 20.
Career as an Artist
Kuttan Marar features in prominent temple festivals of Kerala including Thrissur Pooram, Peruvanam pooram, Kollam Pooram and those at Guruvayur Temple. He leads the famous Ilanjithara Melam of Thrissur Pooram. Kuttan Marar started performing at the Ilanjithara Melam from 1977 and has been its Pramani since 1999.
(Partial) listing of temples where Peruvanam Kuttan Marar has performed :
- puthucode Bhaghavathy temple
- Puthur Thirupuraikal Bhagavathy Temple
- Panangad Sri Maha Ganapathi Temple
- Thripunithura Poornathrayeesa temple
- Vaikom Mahadeva temple
- Guruvayur temple
- Pallathamkullangara Bhagavathy temple, Ernakulam
- Ilankunnapuzha temple, Ernakulam
- Kuttanelloor temple, Thrissur
- Manalaarukaavu temple, Thrissur
- Puzhakkarakkavu temple, Moovattupuzha
- Paramekkavu temple
- Vadakkumnathan temple
- Thamarakulangara temple, Tripunithura
- Kottaram Bhagavathy temple. Maradu
- Ernakulam temple
- Peruvanam temple
- Aarattupuzha temple
- Chinakathoor temple
- Malliyoor Mahaganapathy temple
- Irinjalakuda temple
- Kodunthirapully Durgasthami & Mahanavami Navaratri Fest, Palakkad
- Cherpulasshery Bhagavathy temple
- Paliam Siva Temple
- Sree Mahadheva Temple, Rajakkad
- Pilakkad Sree Ramankulangara Ayyappa Temple
(Partial) listing of artists who perform with Peruvanam Kuttan Marar on a regular basis :
- Tiruvalla Radhakrishnan
- Peruvanam Satheeshan Marar
- Kelath Aravindakshan Marar
- Pazhuvil Raghu Marar
- Chowalloor Mohanan Nair
- Chowalloor Mohanan Warrier
- Anthikkad Ramachandran
- Anthikkad Padmanbhan
- Peruvanam Sankaranarayanan
- Peruvanam Shivan
- Peruvanam Prakashan
- Peruvanam Krishnan
- Maniyamparambil Mani Nair
- Kizhoot Nandanan
In popular culture
C. Venugopal and K. Ramachandran produced a 45 minute documentary on Kuttan Marar, named Pranathi.
- Keli Melasooryan Award 2012
- Sangeetha Nataka Academy Fellowship 2012
- Pallavoor Puraskaram 2012.
- Padma Shri award in 2011.
- Kerala Sahitya Academy Fellowship 2010.
- Veerashringhala 2000
- Arattupuzha Sri Sastha Award
- Sri Guruvayurappan Award
- Keli's promising Artist Award 1999
- Keli's Golden Conch 2005
- Keli's Lifetime achievement Award 2009
- Kala Darpana Award
- Nada Purnathrayee Award
- Adaraneeyam Award
- Mela Kala Chakravarti
- Vadyotama Award
- A rare photo of peruvanam kuttan marar and kalamandalam paramesweran marar. https://picasaweb.google.com/102849838474285473343/January142012#5697344962166509490
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peruvanam Kuttan Marar.|
- "Melam artistes should not play to the gallery: Peruvanam". The Hindu. 8 May 2011. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- "Peruvanam Kuttan Marar, percussionist". The Hindu. March 2, 2011. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- "Guruvayur all set to celebrate Ashtami Rohini". The Hindu. 21 August 2011. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- "Grand finale to Kollam Pooram". The Hindu. 17 April 2011. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- "A feast to the ears of percussion lovers". The Hindu. 13 May 2011. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- "Life as an ace helmsman". The Hindu. 13 January 2011. Retrieved 23 January 2012.