|Birth name||Petuz Terzakyan|
|Also known as||Peruz|
Sivas, Ottoman Empire
Peruz (1866 in Sivas - c. 1920 in Istanbul) also known as Peruz Hanım or Kantocu Peruz, Perviz Hanım was an Ottoman Armenian kanto singer, songwriter. Her family name was Terzakyan. One of her nicknames was Afet-i Devran Peruz.
Peruz started singing kantos in 1880 when she was 14 years old. She composed her songs and was also the lyricist. Her stage life lasted until 1912. She was beetle-browed, bulk-bodied, attractive and flirtatious woman. Bestekâr Şevki Bey ("Composer Şevki Bey", 1860–1891) fell in love with Peruz and composed many scores such as Hidjaz Severim can ü gönülden seni tersa çiçeğim for her. Her songs were published as "Neşe-i Dil". Peruz was a pioneer with her cousin Şamram (Kelleciyan, 1870–1955), Baydzar, Büyük Emilye [Ameliya] (Pol), Küçük Eleni (Greek), Küçük Virjin [Virgine], Mari Ferha and Agavni all non-Muslim kanto singers.
Peruz was also credited as a lead in 1919 silent short Fahri Bey Makarna Tenceresinde ("Mr. Fahri in Pasta Pot") by Fahri Bey (İsmet Fahri Gülunç). Rushen Hakki and Fahri himself were other actors. Fahri Bey directed another short film of the same year Tombul Aşığın Dört Sevgilisi ("Four Darlings of Plump Lover"). The film was not completed de to a legal dispute and there were no credit records for Peruz. Peruz died at 54 years old.
- M. Nihat Özön, Baha Dürder (ed.), Türk Tiyatrosu Ansiklopedisi, Yükselen Matbaası, 1967, p. 345. (in Turkish)
- Kantolar (1905-1945) Archived 12 January 2002 at the Wayback Machine., Kalan Musik Yapım, 1998, Book & CD, Archive Series, p. 3, 36.
- Samiha Ayverdi, Hey Gidi Günler Hey, Kubbealtı, 2008, ISBN 978-975-7663-87-4, p. 115. (in Turkish)
- Kevork Pamukciyan, Osman Köker, Ermeni Kaynaklarından Tarihe Katkılar, Cilt 4, Aras Yayıncılık, 2002, p. 358. (in Turkish)
- Yılmaz Öztuna, Türk Musikisi Ansiklopedisi, Cilt 2, Kısım 2, M. E. B. Devlet Kitapları, p. 286. (in Turkish)
- A. Sermet Muhtar Alus, Eski Günlerde, İletişim Yayınları, 2001, ISBN 978-975-470-850-9, p. 60. (in Turkish)
- Mustafa Armağan, İstanbul Armağanı: Gündelik Hayatın Renkleri, İstanbul Büyükşehir Belediyesi Kültür İşleri Daire Başkanlığı, 1997, ISBN 978-975-7580-33-1, p. 152. (in Turkish)
- Berna Özbilen, "Kanto’nun değişim süreci ve yakın dönem icralarının değerlendirilmesi, (The changing process of Kanto and the evaluation of recent epoch performances), Unpublished master's thesis, Istanbul Technical University, 2006. (in Turkish)
- Fahri Bey Makarna Tenceresinde, IMDb.
- Tombul Aşığın Dört Sevgilisi, IMDb.
- Lütfü Tınç, "Peruz’dan Gülriz Sururi’ye kanto zamanları", İstanbul Life. (in Turkish)