He used to be married to the author Rita Williams-Garcia.
Garcia has taken criticism during his tenure as athletic director for multiple reasons.
On December 5, 2012 Garcia fired FIU head football coach Mario Cristobal, a decision that many observers considered to be strange as Cristobal was the most successful FIU football coach in the program's short history, bringing the program its first ever conference championship by winning the Sun Belt Conference in 2010. The decision was heavily criticized for its rashness.
- Glier, Ray (17 December 2010). "ls 2010: A tale of money, pride and goodies". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved 23 December 2010.
- "Cristobal Calls Firing "Puzzling"". CBS Miami. 5 December 2012. Retrieved 16 September 2014.
- Greg Cote, Greg Cote: FIU’s decision to fire Mario Cristobal impatient, unfair, The Miami Herald, December 6, 2012, accessed December 11, 2012.
- Tim Rohan, When Best Still Isn’t Good Enough, The New York Times, December 5, 2012, accessed December 11, 2012.
- David Moulton, David Moulton: Thoughts on the college football coaching landscape and more, Naples Daily News, December 11, 2012, accessed December 11, 2012.