|Full name||Peter T. George|
|Born||June 29, 1929 (age 90)|
Akron, Ohio, U.S.
Born in Akron, Ohio, he was the first 15-year-old to clean and jerk 300 lbs and was the youngest senior state champion of Ohio at 14 and 1/2. He won a gold medal at the 1952 Summer Olympics in Helsinki. He also received silver medals at the 1948 Summer Olympics in London, and at the 1956 Summer Olympics in Melbourne. He also won five World championships outside of the Olympics in 1947, 1951, 1953, 1954, and 1955. He placed second at the World Championships in 1949, and 1950, making a total of 10 medals in World and Olympic competition. He also set 4 world records, 3 in the clean and jerk, and 1 in the total.
After retiring from athletics he attended Kent State University, the Ohio State University, and Columbia University. George became an orthodontist and served on the faculty of the University of Hawaii. He has pioneered treatments for obstructive sleep apnea. He has the patent for the Nocturnal Airway Patency Appliance (NAPA), a device preventing the stoppage of breathing during sleep. Because of his Macedono-Bulgarian roots, after retirement he used to spent summertime in the birthplace of his wife, Ognyanovo, Blagoevgrad Province, Bulgaria.
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill. "Pete George". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved May 7, 2015.
- Marty Gallagher, Pete George. The greatest American Olympic Weightlifting prodigy of all time. Starting Strength Weekly Report, October 11, 2012.
- Ohio History Central
- Cal, Volume 47, Coe Laboratories, 1983 p. 21.
- Honolulu Star-Bulletin
- "1952 Summer Olympics - Helsinki, Finland - Weightlifting" Archived 2007-08-27 at the Wayback Machine - databaseOlympics.com (Retrieved on February 22, 2008).
- "1948 Summer Olympics - London, United Kingdom- Weightlifting" Archived 2007-08-30 at the Wayback Machine - databaseOlympics.com (Retrieved on February 22, 2008).
- "1956 Summer Olympics - Melbourne, Australia - Weightlifting" Archived 2007-08-27 at the Wayback Machine - databaseOlympics.com (Retrieved on February 22, 2008).
- Питър Джордж - първият българин с олимпийско злато. Blitz.bg, 28 Авг. 2008.
|This article about an Olympic medalist of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article relating to weightlifting in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|