September 12, 1987|
|Achievements and titles|
|World finals||Fastest run across the United States, 42 days, 6 hours, 30 minutes|
|Updated on 25 October 2016.|
Pete Kostelnick (born September 12, 1987) is an American Ultramarathon runner most well known for his world record for fastest coast-to-coast crossing of the United States by foot, in 42 days, six hours and 30 minutes. In addition he is a two time Badwater Ultramarathon champion, current Badwater course record holder, and the 5th fastest North American, all-time, at the 24-hour run, covering 163.5 miles (an average pace of 8:48 per mile).
On September 12, 2016, he set out to break the record for the United States coast-to-coast (3,100 mile) run, starting in San Francisco City Hall ending in New York City, City Hall. The previous record was 46 days, eight hours and 36 minutes, set in 1980 by Frank Gianinno Jr. Frank noted that he felt "nostalgic" watching Pete break his record and commented that he was impressed with how fast Pete was running, nine and a half minutes per mile. Frank traversed America much slower, often walking, during his record, but only slept 6 hours a night, which allowed him to cover similar ground at the much slower pace of 11 plus minutes per mile. Throughout Pete's crossing, he would gather local runners to join him promoting health and fitness.
During his attempt he faced many hardships including snow storms, 35 mile per hour winds, and a major motor accident destroying his support vehicle (which provided Pete food and hydration). Several other ultramarathon runners have attempted to break the over 30 year old record, but have failed. A recent attempt by Robert Young was plagued by allegations of cheating, although Young didn't finish the distance anyway. To emphasize accountability, so there was no questions about the legitimacy of the record, Pete ran with a satellite transceiver which records his exact location at all times. In addition, Pete wore two GPS watches—in case one failed—and his team gathered witness signatures, took videos and photos, and assembled media reports daily.
- Wire, SI. "Pete Kostelnick runs across the US in record time". SI.com. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- News, A. B. C. (2016-10-24). "Pete Kostelnick bests previous coast-to-coast run by 4 days". ABC News. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- "Ultrarunner Crosses U.S. in Less Than 43 Days, Breaks Record". NBC New York. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- Editors, The (2015-07-30). "Pete Kostelnick Wins Badwater". Outside Online. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- Star, Brent Wagner | Lincoln Journal. "Next up for Lincoln ultramarathon runner is coast-to-coast run". JournalStar.com. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- "UltraRunning Magazine All-Time Lists | Ultrarunning Magazine". www.ultrarunning.com. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- Giannino, Frank. "Frank Giannino: Feeling nostalgic watching Guinness record fall". recordonline.com. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- Pyramid, Terry Madsen The. "World record attempt runs through Fairview". Daily Herald. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- Editor, Matthew DeWitt- Sports. "Meet Pete, the Boone native attempting to break a world record". Boone News. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- writer, Chasity Blair / World-Herald staff. "In trek across U.S., Nebraska runner Pete Kostelnick reaches Omaha in 26 days, on track to break world record". Omaha.com. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- "Ultrarunner on Pace to Break 36-year-old Trans-America Record". Runner's World. 2016-10-12. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- "In trek across U.S., Nebraska runner Pete Kostelnick reaches Omaha in 26 days, on track to break world record". starherald.com. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- "Ultrarunner Pete Kostelnick Smashes Record for Run Across U.S." Runner's World. 2016-10-24. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- CEO, Jodi Weiss Career Strategist | Author | Educator |; EverythingSmart, Founder of (2016-10-22). "Trans-America Record on the Horizon: 3,100 miles to New York City Hall". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- DeWall, C. Nathan (2016-10-26). "How to Run Across the Country Faster Than Anyone". The New York Times. Retrieved 2016-10-28.
- Kostelnick, Pete (November 20, 2016). "Pete Kostelnick M29 26 Races". ultrasignup. Retrieved November 20, 2016.