Pete Mitchell (American football)
|Date of birth:||October 9, 1971|
|Place of birth:||Royal Oak, Michigan|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||243 lb (110 kg)|
|High school:||Birmingham Brother Rice High School
|NFL Draft:||1995 / Round: 4 / Pick: 122|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Peter Clark Mitchell (born October 9, 1971) is a former American college and professional football player who was a tight end in the National Football League (NFL) for eight seasons. He played college football for Boston College, and was a two-time All-American. He played professionally for the Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Giants and Detroit Lions of the NFL.
Mitchell accepted an athletic scholarship to attend Boston College, where he played for the Boston College Eagles football team from 1991 to 1994. He earned first-team All-American honors as a junior in 1993; as a senior in 1994, he was recognized as a consensus first-team All-American, having been a first-team selection of the Associated Press, the Walter Camp Foundation, Football Writers Association of America, Scripps-Howard, and The Sporting News.
- 1991: 29 catches for 398 yards with 3 TD
- 1992: 40 catches for 555 yards with 3 TD
- 1993: 66 catches for 818 yards with 7 TD
- 1994: 55 catches for 617 yards with 7 TD
The Miami Dolphins selected Mitchell in the fourth round (122nd overall pick) of the 1995 NFL Draft, but traded him during training camp to the Jacksonville Jaguars in exchange for wide receiver Mike Williams. Mitchell played for the Jaguars from 1995 to 1998. In his first four seasons for the Jags, he became the team's regular starter at tight end. From 2000 to 2001, he played for the New York Giants, and had one of his best years statistically in 1999 as a part-time starter, when he caught 58 receptions for 520 yards. He played for the Detroit Lions in 2001, but saw action in only five games and started only once in the Lions' offense. He returned to the Jaguars in 2002, and started 11 of 16 regular season games. In an eight-season NFL career, Mitchell played in 114 regular season games, started 63 of them, and compiled 279 receptions for 2,885 yards and 15 touchdowns.
- National Football League, Historical Players, Pete Mitchell. Retrieved February 5, 2012.
- databaseFootball.com, Players, Pete Mitchell. Retrieved February 5, 2012.
- 2010 Division I Football Records Book, Award Winners and All-Americans, National Collegiate Athletic Association, Indianapolis, Indiana, p. 10 (2010). Retrieved February 5, 2012.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame, Draft History, 1995 National Football League Draft. Retrieved February 5, 2012.
- Pro-Football-Reference.com, Players, Pete Mitchell. Retrieved February 5, 2012.
- Pete Mitchell – NFL.com player profile