|Mayor of Laredo, Texas|
November 12, 2014 – December 28, 2022
|Preceded by||Raúl González Salinas|
|Succeeded by||Victor Trevino|
|Born||October 29, 1951|
Laredo, Texas, U.S.
|Children||Pedro Ignacio Saenz III|
Monica (Saenz) Vigil
Roberto J. Saenz
|Alma mater||St. Joseph's Academy (Laredo, Texas)|
St. Mary's University School of Law
Pedro Ignacio Saenz Jr. (born October 29, 1951), known as Pete Saenz, is an American attorney and politician serving as the mayor of Laredo, Texas, a position which he assumed on November 12, 2014. He was term-limited and left the position on December 28, 2022.
Saenz was educated at the Roman Catholic St. Joseph's Academy in Laredo. He thereafter obtained Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degrees in Animal Science and Range Management, respectively, from Texas A&M University–Kingsville, then known as Texas A&I University, located near Corpus Christi in Kingsville.
For twelve years, Saenz was a member of the Laredo Community College board of trustees. He also served a stint as the board president. During his tenure on the board, the South Campus was established, and most buildings on the main campus on West Washington Street were renovated. He is a former president of the South Texas Food Bank and the Laredo Affordable Housing Corporation.
2018 mayoral election
A third mayoral candidate was current city councilman Carlos Alberto "Charlie" San Miguel (born February 29, 1968). Saenz then handily won the runoff contest with 13,972 votes (64.5 percent) to Vela's 7,694 (35.5 percent).
- "Pedro I. Saenz, Sr". Laredo Morning Times. November 6, 2014. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- "Ex-councilman Roque Vela, Jr., announces run for Laredo mayor". The Laredo Morning Times. July 19, 2018. Retrieved July 24, 2018.
- "Final voting results from the November 2018 general and special elections in Webb County". The Laredo Morning Times. November 7, 2018. Retrieved November 8, 2018.
- JeriLynn Thorpe (April 26, 2018). "La Gordiloca' announces she will run for mayor in upcoming election". The Laredo Morning Times. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- Jorge Salazar (October 20, 2016). "Councilman Vela deceived the citizens of district V in a very big way". The Laredo Morning Times. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- "Final voting results released for runoff races in Laredo, Rio Bravo". The Laredo Morning Times. December 13, 2018. Retrieved December 18, 2018.