|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Sheffield|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Sheffield|
|In office||5 June 2017 – present|
|Other posts||Dean of Liverpool (2012–2017)|
|Ordination||1987 (deacon); 1988 (priest)
by David Jenkins
|Consecration||22 June 2017
by John Sentamu
|Birth name||Peter Jonathan Wilcox|
|Born||1961 (age 56–57)|
|Alma mater||St John's College, Durham
Ridley Hall, Cambridge
St John's College, Oxford
Peter Jonathan Wilcox (born 1961) is a British Anglican bishop. Since June 2017, he has been the Bishop of Sheffield in the Church of England. He was previously the Dean of Liverpool from 2012 to 2017.
Early life and education
Wilcox was born in 1961 and attended Worksop College in north Nottinghamshire before studying at Durham University where he was a member of St John's College. He graduated from Durham with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in 1984. He then attended Ridley Hall, Cambridge, where he trained for ordination and graduated from the University of Cambridge with a BA degree in theology in 1986. Later, he returned to Durham for post-graduate study and completed a Master of Arts (MA) degree in 1991. He then attended St John's College, Oxford, and completed a Doctor of Philosophy (DPhil) degree in 1993. His doctoral thesis was titled "Restoration, Reformation and the progress of the kingdom of Christ : evangelisation in the thought and practice of John Calvin, 1555–1564".
He was ordained a deacon at Petertide (28 June) 1987 and a priest the next Petertide (26 June 1988) — both times by David Jenkins, Bishop of Durham, at Durham Cathedral; his first post was a curacy in Preston-on-Tees. From 1990 to 1993, while undertaking post-graduate study, he was a non-stipendiary minister at St Giles' Church, Oxford and St Margaret's Church, Oxford. He was Team Vicar of Gateshead from 1993 to 1998 when he became the Director of the Urban Mission Centre, Cranmer Hall, Durham. He was priest in charge of St Paul's Walsall from 1998 before becoming Canon Chancellor of Lichfield Cathedral in 2006. He was installed as Dean of Liverpool — first among equals of the chapter of Liverpool Cathedral and senior priest of the Diocese of Liverpool — at the cathedral on 15 September 2012.
On 7 April 2017, it was announced that Wilcox is to become the next Bishop of Sheffield, to be consecrated on 22 June and take up the role in autumn 2017. He was elected to the See by the College of Canons of Sheffield Cathedral on 5 May 2017 and his election confirmed at York Minster on 5 June 2017. On 22 June 2017, he was consecrated a bishop by John Sentamu, Archbishop of York, at York Minster. On 23 September 2017, he was installed as the 8th Bishop of Sheffield during a service at Sheffield Cathedral.
- The Reverend Pete Wilcox (1988–1993)
- The Reverend Doctor Pete Wilcox (1993–2006)
- The Reverend Canon Doctor Pete Wilcox (2006–2012)
- The Very Reverend Doctor Pete Wilcox (2012 – 5 June 2017)
- The Reverend Doctor Pete Wilcox (5 June 2017 – 22 June 2017)
- The Right Reverend Doctor Pete Wilcox (22 June 2017 – present)
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 30 November 2015..
- "Pete Wilcox is to be the next Dean of Liverpool". Liverpool Cathedral. March 2007. Archived from the original on 2012-06-29.
- Thesis record, Bodleian Libraries, University of Oxford
- "Ordinations: Durham (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#6490). 3 July 1987. p. 13. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 7 April 2017. (Subscription required (. ))
- "Ordinations: Durham (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#6542). 1 July 1988. p. 4. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 7 April 2017. (Subscription required (. ))
- "Dean of Liverpool". HM Government. 7 March 2012.
- Diocese of Sheffield — Consecration of Pete Wilcox, 22 June 2017 (Accessed 6 May 2017)
- "Bishop of Sheffield Announced". Diocese of Sheffield. Diocese of Sheffield. Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- "A new bishop-elect..." Diocese of Sheffield. 9 May 2017. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- York Minster — Consecration of the Bishop of Sheffield and Bishop of Sodor and Man (Accessed 22 June 2017)
- "New Bishop of Sheffield to be consecrated at York Minster". ITV News. 22 June 2017. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Installation of the Eighth Bishop of Sheffield at Sheffield Cathedral". Diocese of Sheffield. 24 September 2017. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- "Dean Very Rev Dr Pete Wilcox". People. Liverpool Cathedral. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "Dr Catherine Wilcox". Staff profiles. Manchester Metropolitan University. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
|Church of England titles|
|Dean of Liverpool
|Bishop of Sheffield