Pete Wilson (bass guitarist)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Pete Wilson (born 1966) is a bass guitarist who has been an exponent of the instrument in the UK contemporary music scene for twenty years. He also works as bass player in regular pop setting. He studied at Trinity College, London and gained a First Class BA (Hons) in Music from University of York, followed by a DPhil on Charles Ives researched at Yale University (USA) in 1994.
He has appeared with the Icebreaker, Steve Martland Band (Factory Records), Ensemble Modern with John Adams, the BBC Symphony Orchestra, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, London Sinfonietta, and the American Composers Orchestra (Carnegie Hall). He has commissioned and performed a bass guitar concerto by composer Colin Riley.
Wilson also played bass for dance companies that include The Royal Ballet, Rambert Dance Company, London Contemporary Dance Theatre, Scottish Ballet, Random Dance and Shobana Jeyasingh Dance Company. Pop credits include Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Melanie C and Rufus Wainwright.
Wilson has taught at Guildhall School of Music and Drama, Dartington College of Arts, University of York and headed the BA (Hons) programme at Brighton Institute of Modern Music from its inception in 2003. He is Course Leader at Southampton Solent University, an external examiner for University College Cork and University of Central England (UCE Birmingham).
Pete’s research interests lie in the use of bass guitar in contemporary classical music.
Wilson has played for many ensembles and crossover projects, and recorded the listed ‘new music’ albums:
- 1992 Steve Martland Band: "Crossing the Border", Factory
- 1993 Graham Fitkin: "Hook/Mesh/Stub/Cud", Decca/Argo
- 1994 Icebreaker: "Terminal Velocity", Decca/Argo
- 1996 John Godfrey: "S.U.S.Y.W.I.M.P.S.", Century XXI UK A-M (compilation), New Tone
- 1996 Michael Gordon/Icebreaker: "Trance", Decca/Argo
- 1997 Icebreaker: "Rogue's Gallery", New Tone
- 1998 Opera Band: "Science Fictions", Opera Band
- 2001 Diderik Wagenaar/Icebreaker: "Metrum/Rookery Hill", Donemus
- 2001 Icebreaker: "Extraction", BTL
- 2003 Michael Gordon/Icebreaker: "Trance", Cantaloupe Music (re-release)
- 2004 Colin Riley: "Close", SKMusic
- 2005 Icebreaker: "Cranial Pavement", Cantaloupe Music
- 2005 Icebreaker: "Terminal Velocity", Cantaloupe Music (re-release)
- 2007 Colin Riley: "Songs", Squeaky Kate
- 2007 Philip Glass/Icebreaker: "Music With Changing Parts", Orange Mountain Music
- 2012 Brian Eno, Roger Eno & Daniel Lanois arr. Woojun Lee/Icebreaker: "Apollo", Cantaloupe Music