Peter Aczel (left) with Michael Rathjen, Oberwolfach 2004
Peter Henry George Aczel
31 October 1941
|Alma mater||University of Oxford|
|Known for||Aczel's anti-foundation axiom|
|Thesis||Mathematical problems in logic (1967)|
|Doctoral advisor||John Newsome Crossley|
Peter Henry George Aczel (//; born October 31, 1941) is a British mathematician, logician and Emeritus joint Professor in the School of Computer Science and the School of Mathematics at the University of Manchester. He is known for his work in non-well-founded set theory, constructive set theory, and Frege structures.
Career and research
After two years of visiting positions at the University of Wisconsin–Madison and Rutgers University Aczel took a position at the University of Manchester. He has also held visiting positions at the University of Oslo, California Institute of Technology, Utrecht University, Stanford University and Indiana University Bloomington. He was a visiting scholar at the Institute for Advanced Study in 2012.
Aczel is on the editorial board of the Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic and the Cambridge Tracts in Theoretical Computer Science, having previously served on the editorial boards of the Journal of Symbolic Logic and the Annals of Pure and Applied Logic.
- Peter Aczel at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Aczel, P. (1977). "An Introduction to Inductive Definitions". Handbook of Mathematical Logic. Studies in Logic and the Foundations of Mathematics. 90. pp. 739–201. doi:10.1016/S0049-237X(08)71120-0. ISBN 9780444863881.
- Aczel, P.; Mendler, N. (1989). "A final coalgebra theorem". Category Theory and Computer Science. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 389. p. 357. doi:10.1007/BFb0018361. ISBN 3-540-51662-X.
- Aczel, P. (1980). "Frege Structures and the Notions of Proposition, Truth and Set". The Kleene Symposium. Studies in Logic and the Foundations of Mathematics. 101. pp. 31–32. doi:10.1016/S0049-237X(08)71252-7. ISBN 9780444853455.
- Peter Aczel at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Peter Aczel page the University of Manchester
- Aczel, Peter (1966). Mathematical problems in logic (DPhil thesis). University of Oxford.(subscription required)
- Institute for Advanced Study: A Community of Scholars
- Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic
- Annals of Pure and Applied Logic