|Genres||Power metal folk metal, pirate metal|
|Past members||Gavin Harper
Alestorm is a multi-national heavy metal band originally from Perth, Scotland. Their music is characterised by a pirate theme, and as a result they have been dubbed a "pirate metal" band by many critics and their fanbase.
After signing to Napalm Records in 2007, their debut album Captain Morgan's Revenge, was released on January 25, 2008. Black Sails at Midnight, the band's second album, was released on May 27, 2009. The band's third album, Back Through Time, was released on June 3, 2011. The fourth album from the band, Sunset on the Golden Age, was released in August 2014. Their fifth and latest album No Grave But the Sea was released on May 26, 2017.
Origins (2004 - 2007)
The band was founded in 2004 as Battleheart, a studio project by Christopher Bowes and Gavin Harper. Originally intended as a standard power metal band, the success of song "Heavy Metal Pirates" convinced the band to permanently adopt a pirate theme and incorporate folk metal elements into their music. Gavin and Christopher recorded & released two independent demos in 2006, which were received well by the local metal community. The band began to perform live in 2006, with a lineup consisting of Bowes (vocals and keytar), Harper (guitar), Dani Evans (bass guitar) and Doug Swierczek (drums). Doug Swierczek eventually left the band later that year and was replaced by Ian Wilson. After a period of inactivity, in late 2007 Battleheart sent their demos to Napalm Records, and the band was promptly offered a record deal.
By September 2008, original guitarist Gavin Harper had left the band. Tim Shaw was Harper's replacement, but after a brief period of touring, was fired from the band. To fill the guitarist position, Dani Evans switched instruments from bass to guitar, and Gareth Murdock of Waylander joined as the replacement bassist. The band's 2nd album Black Sails at Midnight was released in May 2009. In March 2010, Ian Wilson left the band and was replaced with a new drummer named Peter Alcorn. Alestorm's third album, Back Through Time, was Alcorn's first appearance on an Alestorm album. In October 2011, Elliot Vernon joined the band as keyboard player and performing screamed / death metal vocals.
In October 2016, Christopher Bowes announced during a concert on the Super Smashed Turbo Tour that the band planned to begin recording a fifth studio album in January 2017. The fifth record, entitled "No Grave But The Sea", was released on May 26, 2017.
- March 2008 - UK Tour supporting Turisas and Norther
- October 2008 - "Ragnarok Aaskereia" European tour with Tyr, Hollenthon, Svartsot and Gwydion
- February - March 2009 - "Pagan Knights" North American tour with Týr (band) and Suidakra
- April - May 2009 - "Black Sails Over Europe" European tour supported by Tyr, Heidevolk and Adorned Brood
- September 2009 - "Paganfest" European tour with Korpiklaani, Moonsorrow, Unleashed, Die Apokalyptischen Reiter, Einherjer, Ex Deo and Swashbuckle
- November 2009 - "Heathenfest" North American tour Eluveitie, Belphegor, Vreid, and Kivimetsan Druidi
- February - March 2010 - "Paganfest" European tour with Finntroll, Eluveitie, Dornenreich, Varg and Arkona (band)
- June 2010 - "Plunder Down Under" Australian Tour supported by Claim the Throne
- August - December 2010 - "World War Tour" European Tour supporting Sabaton (band)
- May 2011 - "Back Through Time" Australian Tour supported by Voyager
- August 2011 - "Pandemonium Over North America" North American tour supporting Kamelot
- September - October 2011 - "Heidenfest" European tour with Turisas, Wintersun, Finntroll, Arkona, and Trollfest
- February 2012 - "Useless Drunken Bastards" UK Tour supported by Claim the Throne and Darkest Era
- April 2012 - "Paganfest" North American tour with Turisas and Arkona
- September 2012 - "The Power Within" UK tour supporting DragonForce with The Defiled
- October 2012 - "The North American Enigma" North American tour with Epica (band) and Insomnium
- January 2013 - "Live at the End of the World" Australia and New Zealand tour
- November - December 2013 - North American tour supported by Trollfest and Gypsyhawk
- September 2014 - "Storming Across Europe" European Tour supported by Brainstorm (German band), Crimson Shadows and Troldhaugen
- October 2014 - "Piratefest" UK tour supported by Lagerstein, Red Rum, and Rainbowdragoneyes
- January 2015 - "Piratefest" North American tour supported by Swashbuckle (band) and The Dread Crew Of Oddwood
- November 2015 - "Piratefest" Australia and New Zealand tour supported by Lagerstein and Troldhaugen
- February - March 2016 - "Heroes on Tour" Europe and UK co-headlining tour with Sabaton
- October 2016 - "Super Smashed Turbo Tour" North American tour supported by Nekrogoblikon and Æther Realm
- June - August 2017 - Vans Warped Tour North American tour
A clip from Keelhauled illustrates Alestorm's style of play.
Problems playing this file? See media help.
Alestorm play a combination of styles of metal. They are generally classified as power metal and folk metal. The band refer to themselves as "Pirate Metal" and are identifiable by the pirate-themed lyrics in their songs. Alestorm's music utilizes the upbeat epic style of power metal with many orchestrations commonly found in folk metal. Album recordings feature heavy use of real trumpets and trombones, whilst implementing accordion synths, fiddle and tin whistle to convey a pirate sea shanty feel. Alestorm uses factors of absurdity to bring a jocular feel to their music, incorporating irreverent lyrical themes while retaining a tenuous connection to pirates.
They have also been known to experiment with different metal genres, going from songs that are predominantly thrash metal ("Black Sails At Midnight") to a switch to a black metal sonority mid-song ("Death Throes Of The Terrorsquid"). The band's later albums have begun to incorporate more screamed vocals by keyboard player Elliot Vernon, adding hints of metalcore ("Magnetic North") and death metal ("1741 - The Battle of Cartegena") to the band's sound. 
|Current Members||Former members
|2008||Captain Morgan's Revenge||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|2009||Black Sails at Midnight
|2011||Back Through Time
|2014||Sunset on the Golden Age
|2017||No Grave But the Sea
EPs and singles
|Terror on the High Seas
|2013||In the Navy (The Village People cover)
|2016||Skalstorm (split 7" single with Skalmold)
|2013||Live at the End of the World
|2009||"Nancy the Tavern Wench"||Captain Morgan's Revenge||Unknown||Live performance|||
|"Keelhauled"||Black Sails at Midnight||Silvan Büge||Performance|||
|2011||"Shipwrecked"||Back Through Time||Ivan Colic|||
|2012||"Death Throes of the Terrorsquid"||Narrative|||
|2013||"In the Navy" (The Village People cover)||In the Navy EP||Tommy Jones||Tour footage|||
|2014||"Drink"||Sunset on the Golden Age||Oliver Sommer||Narrative|||
|"Hangover" (Taio Cruz cover)||Unknown||Lyric|||
|2015||"Magnetic North"||Ivan Colic||Narrative|||
|2017||"Alestorm"||No Grave But The Sea||Ivan Colic||Narrative|||
|"Fucked With An Anchor"||Elliot Vernon||Studio footage|||
- Muzzman (30 June 2012). "Captain Morgan's Revenge by Alestorm (Album, Folk Metal): Reviews, Ratings, Credits, Song list - Rate Your Music". rateyourmusic.com. Archived from the original on 15 July 2012.
- "Alestorm". Metal-archives.com. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 24 July 2011. Retrieved 2009-12-13.
- "ALESTORM". MusicMight. Retrieved 30 June 2010.
- Bowar, Chad. "Alestorm – Captain Morgan's Revenge review". About.com. Archived from the original on 26 May 2010. Retrieved 30 June 2010.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 10 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-01.
- "ALESTORM - Bacon Powered Pirate Core". alestorm.net.
- "Alestorm Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 24 March 2011.
- "Battleheart - Terror on the High Seas". Metalreviews.com. 2007-01-19. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "NAPALM RECORDS ONLINE STORE - Heavy Metal & Rock CDs, Vinyl, Merch Mailorder". Napalmrecords.com. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "ALESTORM - Bacon Powered Pirate Core". alestorm.net.
- "BREAKING NEWS: Guitarist Dani Evans Leaves Alestorm". Metaltalk.net. 2015-04-19. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "Alestorm's Concert Listing". Last.fm. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "Alestorm - The making of Sunset On The Golden Age - Limited Edition Box Set (HD)". YouTube. 2015-02-19. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "Napalm Records : Chart Entries". Napalmrecords.com.
- "ALESTORM Hits Billboard Heatseekers Chart". Bravewords.com. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "CHART LOG UK Update 18.06.2011 : NEW ENTRIES UPDATE" (TXT). Zobbel.de. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "Alestorm's 'Back Through Time' Lands On German Chart". BLABBERMOUTH.NET.
- "Terror on the High Seas - Review". sputnikmusic.com. Grant Hunter. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Leviathan - EP on iTunes". iTunes. Alestorm. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Live At the End of the World". iTunes. Alestorm. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "ALESTORM - Nancy The Tavern Wench [Live] (Official)". YouTube. 2009-04-23. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "ALESTORM - Keelhauled (Official)". YouTube. 2009-06-26. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- April 22, 2011 (2011-04-22). "Alestorm Films 'Shipwrecked' Video". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "ALESTORM - Shipwrecked | Napalm Records". YouTube. 2011-05-20. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "The Death Throes Of The Terrorsquid Music Video".
- "ALESTORM - In The Navy (DVD Teaser) | Napalm Records". YouTube. 2013-10-18. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "ALESTORM - Drink (Official Video) | Napalm Records". YouTube. 2014-06-12. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "ALESTORM - Hangover (Taio Cruz Cover) | Napalm Records". YouTube. 2014-08-01. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "ALESTORM - Magnetic North (Official Video) | Napalm Records". YouTube. 2015-07-29. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "ALESTORM - Alestorm (Official Video) | Napalm Records". YouTube. 2017-04-21. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "ALESTORM - Mexico (Official Video) | Napalm Records". YouTube. 2017-05-05. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "ALESTORM - Fucked With An Anchor (Official Video) | Napalm Records". YouTube. 2017-05-26. Retrieved 2017-05-29.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alestorm.|