Peter Alexander (artist)
Peter Alexander speaking in front of his 48 ft mural "Blue"
27 February 1939 |
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Known for||Sculpture, Painting|
|Movement||Light and Space|
Peter Alexander (born 27 February 1939) is an American artist. A member of the Light and Space artistic movement in southern California in the 1960s, he is best known for his resin sculptures from the 1960s and 1970s.
Peter Alexander was born in Los Angeles in 1939. He studied at the University of Pennsylvania (1957–60); the Architectural Association in London (1960–62); the University of California, Berkeley (1962–1963); the University of Southern California (1963–64); and the University of California, Los Angeles (1964–65 and 1965–66).
After initially working as an architect, he rose to prominence in the 1960s with translucent resin sculptures. He has also produced paintings, including a series that depicts luminous aerial views of the city lights stretching across the Los Angeles basin. He also was commissioned to paint a large mural for the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles.
In October 2011, Craig Krull Gallery exhibited a survey of Alexander's work, including paintings and sculptures from 1970 - 2009 in conjunction with Pacific Standard Time. Alexander will be exhibited in Pacific Standard Time museum shows as well, including "Civic Virtue: The Impact of the Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery and the Watts Towers Arts Center", organized by the Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs, "Phenomenal: California Light and Space" at the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego, and "Pacific Standard Time: Crosscurrents in L.A. Paintings and Sculpture 1945-1970" at the J. Paul Getty Museum.
- Fogg Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Getty Museum, Los Angeles, California
- Henry Art Gallery, Seattle, Washington
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art, California
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- Minneapolis Institute of Contemporary Art, Minnesota
- Honolulu Museum of Art Spalding House (formerly The Contemporary Museum, Honolulu), Hawaii
- Museum of Modern Art, New York
- New York Public Library, New York
- Norton Simon Museum, Pasadena, California
- Princeton University Art Museum, New Jersey
- Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego, La Jolla, California
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, California
- Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York
- Stanford University Art Museum, Palo Alto, California
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of California, Santa Barbara
- Vancouver Art Gallery, British Columbia, Canada
- Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- "Astrology: Peter Alexander, horoscope for birth date 30 June 1926, born in Wien, with Astrodatabank biography". Astro.com. Retrieved 2015-05-06.
- Hickey, Dave (1999), Peter Alexander: In this Light, Hudson Hills Press
- "Peter Alexander". Pasadena.edu. Retrieved 2015-05-06.
- "The Canvas : Azzurra Newsletter" (PDF). Azzurra-delrey.com. May 2006. Retrieved 2015-05-06.
- "Zócalo Public Square :: Peter Alexander". Zocalopublicsquare.org. Retrieved 2015-05-06.
- "C&R 0399". Artscenecal.com. Retrieved 2015-05-06.
- "Next Exhibitions". Craigkrullgallery.com. Retrieved 2015-05-06.
- [dead link]
- "Biography". Peteralexander.com. Retrieved 2015-05-06.
- [dead link]
- "Not Found". Peterclothier.com. Retrieved 2015-05-06.
- Oral history interview with Peter Alexander, 1995 Dec. 13-1996 May 8
- Oral history interview with Peter Alexander, 2009 Sept. 24-2010 Jan. 19