Peter Alexander (fashion designer)
During his early days of operations, he worked from his mother's dining room table. He initially sold directly to department stores. However, when a store cancelled an order for 2,000 pairs of pajamas in 1990, in desperation, he took out a mail order advertisement in Cleo magazine. He received 6,000 orders from that one advertisement alone.
By 1995, he was exporting to New Zealand, the United Kingdom and United States through his mail order service. And, in 1999, also began exporting the brand globally through e-commerce. In 2000, the Peter Alexander Sleepwear label became part of the Just Jeans group of companies - with Alexander continuing as manager.
In 2004, Alexander opened the first stand-alone Peter Alexander Sleepwear store in the Melbourne Central Shopping Centre in Melbourne. He has since expanded the stores into every state of Australia. In 2008, he opened his flagship store in the United States on the Robertson Boulevard shopping district in Los Angeles, and later expanded to two more. However, the U.S. stores were closed in 2009 due to the late-2000s financial crisis.
Alexander is a large supporter of animal rights and welfare. He is both a corporate supporter and participant in the RSPCA's Million Paws Walk in Melbourne - usually winning the celebrity dog challenge.
In 2008, for the opening of his Robertson Boulevard flagship store in Los Angeles, Alexander collaborated with Katherine Heigl to design a pair of pajamas for charity - with all proceeds from the pajama sales going directly to local animal rescue groups.
Since 2011, he has teamed up with the RSPCA to produce a calendar of male models wearing his underwear and posing with rescued dogs. All proceeds from the calendar sales go directly to the RSPCA.
The Peter Alexander Sleepwear label has garnered a strong celebrity following, including from: Kristin Cavallari, Toni Collette, Rachel Griffiths, Katherine Heigl, Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman, Mandy Moore, Pink, Alicia Silverstone, Lady Gaga, Reece Mastin and Naomi Watts.
- Peter Alexander, Celebrity Speakers, retrieved 27 December 2011
- Alexander, Peter, Cyber Fibers - Online Register of Australian Fashion and Textiles Designs, 2000: Francis Burke Textile Resource Center, retrieved 27 December 2011.
- Pittorino, Jane, Katherine Heigl and Kristin Cavalleri [sic] heart Peter Alexander, 2Threads (12 December 2008), retrieved 27 December 2011
- Stores, Peter Alexander Sleepwear, retrieved 27 December 2011
- Magner, Erin, Peter Alexander closes last remaining US shops, Racked (23 June 2009), retrieved 27 December 2011
- US recession leads to closure of Peter Alexander USA stores, Premier Investments Limited, retrieved 27 December 2011
- Peter Alexander Pet Charity Opening, JollyPeople.com (23 October 2008), retrieved 27 December 2011
- Corporate Supporters, RSPCA (Australia), retrieved 27 December 2011
- Davis, Kerry, My Love: Pyjama king Peter Alexander, North Side (10 May 2011), retrieved 27 December 2011
- Peter's Pajama Party, OK! (10 November 2008), retrieved 27 December 2011
- New PJ designs inspired by Katherine Heigl's lil' pup Romeo, People (12 November 2008), retrieved 27 December 2011
- RSPCA Calendar, Peter Alexander Sleepwear, retrieved 27 December 2011
- Just Group - parent company of Peter Alexander Sleepwear
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2015)|