Peter Baldwin (professor)
Peter Baldwin (born December 22, 1956) is a professor of history at the University of California, Los Angeles and a philanthropist. He was educated at Harvard and Yale. He has written several books about Europe.
A study of the state of trans-Atlantic relations between the United States and Europe from Oxford University Press was published in late 2009, entitled The Narcissism of Minor Differences: How America and Europe are Alike. In 2014 he published The Copyright Wars: Three Centuries of Trans-Atlantic Battle.
Baldwin and his wife Lisbet Rausing co-founded the Arcadia Fund and form its donor board. By March 2013, the Fund had made grant commitments of over $500 million to preserve endangered culture and nature. As of December 2017, the Fund has made grant commitments of over $363 million to charities and scholarly institutions globally that preserve cultural heritage and the environment and promote open access. Arcadia-funded projects include the Endangered Languages Documentation program at SOAS, the Endangered Archive Program at the British Library and Fauna & Flora International's Halcyon Land and Sea fund.
- The Politics of Social Solidarity: Class Bases of the European Welfare State, 1875-1975 (Cambridge University Press, 1990)
- Reworking the Past: Hitler, the Holocaust and the Historians' Debate, edited with an introduction (Beacon Press, 1990)
- Contagion and the State in Europe, 1830-1930 (Cambridge University Press, 1999)
- Disease and Democracy: The Industrialized World Faces AIDS (University of California Press, Berkeley, and the Milbank Memorial Fund, New York, 2005)
- The Narcissism of Minor Differences: How America and Europe Are Alike (Oxford University Press, 2009)
- The Copyright Wars: Three Centuries of Trans-Atlantic Battle (Princeton University Press, 2014)
- Date information sourced from Library of Congress Authorities data, via corresponding WorldCat Identities linked authority file (LAF).
- "Faculty—History: Peter Baldwin". University of California. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- ""The Copyright Wars: Three Centuries of Trans-Atlantic Battle"".
- "About Arcadia". Arcadia Fund.
- "Arcadia Fund". Archived from the original on 2012-11-07.
- Endangered Languages Documentation Retrieved December 4, 2015
- Endangered Archive Program Retrieved December 4, 2015
- Wikipedia 15 Contributors Retrieved January 15, 2016.
- wmf:Resolution:Approval of Endowment funding (Fiscal Year 2016-2017) and matching $5 million gift from Peter Baldwin and Lisbet Rausing
- "Peter Baldwin, professor and philanthropist, is appointed to the Wikimedia Endowment Advisory Board". 2016-09-09.