Peter Benjamin Golden
Peter Benjamin Golden (born 1941) is Professor Emeritus of History, Turkish and Middle Eastern Studies at Rutgers University. He is the author of a wide array of books, articles and other written works on Turkic and Central Asian Studies. A native of New York City, he grew up in Washington Heights and graduated from Music & Art High School.
He was Director of the Middle Eastern Studies Program (2008–2011) and retired from Rutgers University in 2012. He earned his bachelor's degree from CUNY Queens College in 1963 and his M.A. and PhD in History from Columbia University in 1968 and 1970, respectively. Golden also studied at the Dil ve Tarih - Coğrafya Fakültesi in Ankara (1967–1968). He is an honorary member of the Türk Dil Kurumu and Kőrösi Csoma Társaság/Csoma de Kőrös Society of Hungarian Orientalists and was a member of the School of Historical Studies at the Institute for Advanced Study (Princeton) 2005–2006. In 2019, he was elected an Honorary Member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- (2011) Studies on the Peoples and Cultures of the Eurasian Steppes, Bucharest–Brăila: Editura Academiei Române – Muzeul Brăilei Editura Istros
- (2011) Central Asia in World History, Oxford-New York: Oxford University Press.
- (2010) Turks and Khazars: Origins, Institutions, and Interactions in Pre-Mongol Eurasia, Aldershot, UK: Ashgate Publishing.
- (2009) The Cambridge History of Inner Asia: The Chinggisid Age, co-edited with N. Di Cosmo, A.J. Frank, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- (2007) The World of the Khazars: New Perspectives, co-edited with H. Ben-Shammai and A. Róna-Tas. Leiden: Brill Publishers.
- (2003) Nomads and their Neighbours in the Russian Steppe. Turks, Khazars and Qipchaqs Aldershot, UK: Ashgate Publishing.
- (2002) Türk Halkları Tarihine Giriş. Ankara, Turkey: KaraM Publishing House (KaraM Yayıncılık).
- (2000) The King's Dictionary. The Rasulid Hexaglot: Fourteenth Century Vocabularies in Arabic, Persian, Turkic, Greek, Armenian and Mongol Leiden: Brill Publishers. (Book, Edited, Vol. 4 in the series Handbuch der Orientalistik, 8. Abteilung Zentralasien)
- (1998) Nomads and sedentary societies in medieval Eurasia Washington, D. C.: American Historical Association.
- (1992) An introduction to the history of the Turkic peoples: Ethnogenesis and state-formation in medieval and early modern Eurasia and the Middle East Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz Verlag.
- (1980) Khazar studies: An Historico-philological Inquiry into the Origins of the Khazars Budapest: Akadémiai Kiadó.
- Jackson, Peter (2012). "Reviewed Work: Central Asia in World History. (The New Oxford World History.) by PETER B. GOLDEN". Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies. 75 (1): 187–188. JSTOR 23258921.
- Morgan, D. O. (2010). "Reviewed Work: The Cambridge History of Inner Asia. The Chinggisid Age by NICOLA DI COSMO, ALLEN J. FRANK, PETER GOLDEN". Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London. 73 (2): 330–332. JSTOR 25703038.
- Makó, Gergő (December 2009). "P. B. Golden, H. Ben-Shammai, A. Róna-Tas (eds): The World of the Khazars. New Perspectives Selected Papers from the Jerusalem 1999 International Khazar Colloquium hosted by the Ben Zvi Institute". Acta Orientalia Academiae Scientiarum Hungaricae. 62 (4): 469–473. JSTOR 23658992.
- Sinor, Denis (1995). "Review". Journal of Asian History. 29 (1): 87–89. JSTOR 41930977.