Peter Byrne (actor)
|Born||Peter James Byrne
29 January 1928
West Ham, Essex, England
|Died||14 May 2018
Northwood, London, England
|Years active||1944, 1953–2013|
He was born in West Ham, Essex; his father was a musician. He was educated at grammar school and trained as an actor at the Italia Conti Stage School. He made his name by playing George Dixon's son-in-law Andy Crawford in the long-running BBC Television serial Dixon of Dock Green for twenty years from 1955. He was Director of Productions for the Bournemouth Theatre Company (1965–66).
Stage appearances has included Boeing Boeing, There's a Girl in My Soup, Double Edge, The Unexpected Guest. Films include Reach for the Sky and Carry on Cabby. TV appearances included Mutiny at Spithead, The New Canadians and more than 300 appearances in Dixon of Dock Green. He also made many appearances in pantomime.
In 2005, the Dixon series was revived for BBC Radio Four, but without Byrne, though he commented, "Various people have said the series was a bit cosy and the BBC seemed to be a little ashamed of it," adding that he believed it to be very underrated.
- The Large Rope (1953) - Jeff Stribling
- Reach for the Sky (1956) - Civilian Pilot Witnessing Bader's Crash (uncredited)
- Watch Your Stern (1960) - Sailor
- Raising the Wind (1961) - 1st Horn
- The Iron Maiden (1962) - Race Starter (uncredited)
- Carry On Cabby (1963) - Bridegroom
- Dixon of Dock Green (1955–1975) - Detective Andy Crawford
- Mutiny at Spithead
- The New Canadians
- Looks Familiar
- Blake's 7 (1981) - Justin
- Bread (1986-1991) - Derek
- The Pattern of Marriage
- GRO Register of Births: MAR 1928 4a 119 W. HAM – Peter J. Byrne, mmn = Massey
- "From Dock Green to Dick Whittington". The Telegraph and Argus. 8 January 2000. Retrieved 17 May 2018.
- Anthony Barnes (30 April 2005). "Evenin' all: BBC to put 'Dixon of Dock Green' back on the beat after 30 years". Independent. Retrieved 17 May 2018.
- Hayward, Anthony (16 May 2018). "Peter Byrne obituary". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- "Peter Byrne 1928-2018". It's Behind You Dot Com – Green Room. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- Byrne P: Double Edge,Yvonne Arnaud Theatre Guildford UK, 24 May – 4 June 1977
- Byrne P:The Unexpected Guest, by Agatha Christie, Yvonne Arnaud Theatre Guildford UK, 31 July – 19 August 1978