Peter Cameron (mathematician)
|Peter J. Cameron|
23 January 1947 (age 71)|
University of Queensland|
University of Oxford
Whitehead Prize, 1979|
Euler Medal, 2003
Forder Lecturer, 2008
|Fields||algebra, group theory, combinatorics, coding theory, model theory|
University of St Andrews|
Queen Mary, University of London
University of Oxford
|Doctoral advisor||Peter M. Neumann|
Peter Jephson Cameron FRSE (born 23 January 1947) is an Australian mathematician who works in group theory, combinatorics, coding theory, and model theory. He is currently half-time Professor of Mathematics at the University of St Andrews, and Emeritus Professor at Queen Mary University of London.
Cameron received a B.Sc. from the University of Queensland and a D.Phil. in 1971 from University of Oxford, with Peter M. Neumann as his supervisor. Subsequently, he was a Junior Research Fellow and later a Tutorial Fellow at Merton College, Oxford, and also lecturer at Bedford College, London.
Cameron specialises in algebra and combinatorics; he has written books about combinatorics, algebra, permutation groups, and logic, and has produced over 250 academic papers. He posed the Cameron–Erdős conjecture with Paul Erdős.
Honours and awards
- with J H van Lint: Graph Theory, Coding Theory and Block Designs (1975)
- Parallelisms of Complete Designs (1976)
- Oligomorphic Permutation Groups (1990)
- with J H van Lint: Designs, Graphs, Codes and their Links (1991)
- Combinatorics: Topics, Techniques, Algorithms (1994)
- Sets, Logic and Categories (1999)
- Permutation Groups (1999)
- Introduction to Algebra (first edition) (1998)
- Introduction to Algebra (second edition) (2008)
- LMS-NZM Forder and Aitken Lectureships
- Peter Camerons DPhil/PhD students
- Peter M. Neumann at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Recent publications of Peter J. Cameron
- "Professor Peter Jephson Cameron FRSE - The Royal Society of Edinburgh". The Royal Society of Edinburgh. Retrieved 2018-03-14.
- Kantor, William M. (1978). "Review: Parallelisms of complete designs, by Peter J. Cameron". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 84 (3): 451–453. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1978-14489-9.
- Home page at Queen Mary University of London
- Home page at University of St Andrews
- Peter Cameron's 60th birthday conference
- Theorems by Peter Cameron at Theorem of the Day
- Peter Cameron's blog
- Peter Cameron at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peter Cameron.|
|This Australian scientist article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|