|Alma mater||KU Leuven|
|Doctoral students||Diether Lambrechts|
|Notable awards||Ernst Jung Prize|
Peter Carmeliet (Dutch: [ˈpeːtər ˈkɑrməliːt]) (born 1959) is a Belgian physician and professor at the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Leuven, Belgium). He is also Adjunct Director of the VIB Vesalius Research Center, KU Leuven. Among his research interests are vasculogenesis, angiogenesis, and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF). In 2016, Carmeliet identified neuron-producing stem cells in the brain.
- 2002: Francqui Prize on Biological and Medical Sciences.
- 2005: Interbrew-Baillet Latour Health Prize, together with Désiré Collen.
- 2010: Ernst Jung Prize in Medicine.
- "KNAW kiest 26 nieuwe leden" (in Dutch). Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. 10 May 2017. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
- Carmeliet P, Ferreira V, Breier G, Pollefeyt S, Kieckens L, Gertsenstein M, Fahrig M, Vandenhoeck A, Harpal K, Eberhardt C, Declercq C, Pawling J, Moons L, Collen D, Risau W, Nagy A, Abnormal blood vessel development and lethality in embryos lacking a single VEGF allele, Nature 380, 435-439, 1996
- Ferrara N, Carver-Moore K, Chen H, Dowd M, Lu L, O’Shea KS, Powell-Braxton L, J. Hillan K, W. Moore M, Heterozygous embryonic lethality induced by targeted inactivation of the VEGF gene, Nature 380, 439-442, 1996
- Fischer C, Jonckx B, Mazzone M, Zacchigna S, Loges S, Pattarini L, Chorianopoulos E, Liesenborghs L, Koch M, De Mol M, Autiero M, Wyns S, Plaisance S, Moons G, Van Rooijen N, Giacca M, Stassen J, Dewerchin M, Collen D, Carmeliet P, Anti-PlGF Inhibits Growth of VEGF(R)-Inhibitor-Resistant Tumors without Affecting Healthy Vessels, Cell 131, 463-75, 2007
-  “Scientists discover neuron-producing stem cells in the membranes covering the brain”
- "Peter Carmeliet". Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 14 May 2017.
- Bloom S., Belgian scientists awarded top honors, J Clin Invest. 2005 May;115(5):1106-7
|This article about a Belgian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|