Peter Christopher (author)
Peter Christopher (born 1948, Cyprus) is an Australian author and photographer who writes about shipwrecks and riverboats. He is also a Director of the not for profit organisation, Clipper Ship City of Adelaide Ltd (CSCOAL), set up to save the 1864 clipper ship, City of Adelaide.
Peter is the author of seven books,co-author of another and co-editor of another. Australia’s large collection of original operating paddle steamers has been the subject of three decades of research by Peter, and hence the subject of two of his seven books.
Since 1967, Peter has been an active scuba diver and volunteer maritime archaeologist who has visited and documented wrecks in South Australia (SA) in particular, but also around Australia. Peter's contribution to maritime archaeology was recognised by an Award presented to him by the Australian Government in 1982 and by the award of a life membership by the Society for Underwater Historical Research in 2000.
In 1973, Peter was a member of the South Australian Government's inquiry into scuba diving deaths in fresh water sink-holes and underwater caves in the south east of SA. The Report of the Committee "appointed to investigate safety precautions for Scuba Divers in Fresh Water Sink Holes and Underwater Caves" which was presented to the Government in January 1974 essentially recommended non-legislative response to the problem. The subsequent voluntary program of regulation via diver training and certification has been carried out by the Cave Divers Association of Australia. The success of the program is evident with nearly four decades of low fatality cave diving following the implementation of the Report's recommendations.
Peter is not a full-time author; he worked as a senior Trade Union official, with his role until mid June 2015 being the Chief Industrial Officer of the Public Service Association of South Australia. He retired to focus on a volunteer role developing a seaport village for the historic 1864 clipper ship "City of Adelaide' in Port Adelaide's inner harbour.
- Shores of Tragedy: shipwrecks of South Australia. (Christopher.P) (ISBN 0731613481) OCLC: 27527347, published by Peter in 1987, details the ten most commonly dived wrecks in South Australia.
- Divers Guide to South Australia.(Christopher.P) (ISBN 0958804400) OCLC: 27626745 published by Peter in 1988
- " ...to save the lives of strangers", (Famous Shipwrecks of South Australia)(Christopher.P) (ISBN 0958804419) OCLC: 27626764, which was published in 1989, describes the history of SA's most famous wrecks. Its title comes from a newspaper account of the rescue of the survivors of the Admella shipwreck in 1859.
- South Australian Shipwrecks. A Data Base 1802--1989. (Christopher.P), published by the Society for Underwater Historical Research firstly as a paperback in 1990 (ISBN 0 9588006 1 8) and then as a PDF in 2006 (ISBN 0 9588006 2 6) OCLC: 25914190 is a listing of all wrecks during that period.
- Paddlesteamers and Riverboats of the River Murray. (Christopher.P), published by Axiom, 2000 (ISBN 978-1-86476-040-8) OCLC: 222744595.
- Let's go for a Dive,50 years of the Underwater Explorers Club of SA, edited by Peter Christopher with Nicholas Cundell and published in 2004 (ISBN 0958804427) OCLC: 223893318.
- Australian Riverboats. A Pictorial History. (Christopher.P), published by Axiom, 2006 (ISBN 9781864764741) OCLC: 224952174.
- Australian Shipwrecks. A Pictorial History. (Christopher.P), published by Axiom, 2009 (ISBN 9781864765885) OCLC: 458275141.
- Clipper Ship City of Adelaide - Fun, facts & figures. (Reardon.M & Christopher.P) 2018 (ISBN 9781864768244)
- 'Who are we' at http://cityofadelaide.org.au/who-we-are.html, retrieved 20 May 2012
- Brice, Rebecca (14 April 2008). "Dry Murray reveals past secrets". Australian Broadcasting Corporation - ABC News. Retrieved 2009-11-18.
- Kemp, Miles (26 September 2009). "Crusade to solve maritime mystery". The Advertiser (Adelaide, Australia). Retrieved 2009-11-18.
- 'Editorial', Soundings, October 2000, pp.2 , in Cowan, David (editor), (2007), The Society for Underwater Historical Research – Publications 1974-2004, Port Adelaide, SA, Society for Underwater Historical Research, (ISBN 978 0 9588006 6 2)
- South Australia. Committee Appointed to Investigate Safety Precautions for Scuba Divers in Fresh Water Sink-Holes and Underwater Caves; Draper, Laurence D. (Laurence Desmond), 1923- (1973), Report, [The Committee]
- Novak, Lauren (20 June 2015). "Lunch with ... Peter Christopher; Union man's sea-change". The Advertiser. p. 72. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- ‘New book by passionate PSA veteran’, Public Sector Review February/March 07, pp.6 at http://cpsu.asn.au/review/Public_Serv_A__s_Review_2699.pdf, retrieved 24/05/2012.
- ‘Overcrowding crisis forces prisoners to be held in court cells’ at http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/full-house-sign-at-jails/story-e6freol3-1111117749440, retrieved 24/05/2012.
- "South Australian Maritime History: A reading list". Government of South Australia. Department for Environment and Heritage. Retrieved 2009-11-18. "This DEH Heritage Webnote is an online version of information originally published as Heritage Information Leaflet 1.12."
- National Library of Australia. References to titles by author. http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/4704916
- State Library of South Australia. SA Shipwrecks. http://www.catalog.slsa.sa.gov.au/record=b1121616
- Adelaide Now. City of Adelaide campaign http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/new-hope-for-city-of-adelaide/story-e6frea83-1225823784827
- Adelaide Now (Advertiser Newspaper) Peter Christopher article re prison overcrowding. http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/the-hard-cell-to-fix-our-prison-system/comments-e6frea6u-1225982606927
- Queensland Government. Immigration, seamen and shipwreck information. https://web.archive.org/web/20110216131003/http://www.slq.qld.gov.au/info/fh/seamen_wrecks
- Adelaide Advertiser.15 Aug 2011. Prison overcrowding, Peter Christopher statements. http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/breaking-news/warning-as-prison-system-clogged-at-record-levels/story-e6frea73-1226115026332
- Peter Christopher's personal web site 
- City of Adelaide Clipper ship site 
- ABC Online. Peter Christopher discusses shipwreck Loch Vennachar http://www.abc.net.au/backyard/shipwrecks/sa/transcript_vennachar.htm
- Baird Maritime. British PM petitioned to save City of Adelaide. http://www.bairdmaritime.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=41&Itemid=139&el_mcal_month=4&el_mcal_year=2009&limitstart=5
- The long running campaign to save the historic 1864 composite clipper City of Adelaide has been successful, with an announcement by Scottish Culture and External Affairs Minister Fiona Hyslop on 28 August 2010 that Adelaide was successful in its bid for the ship. Peter Christopher was the Convenor of the July 2000 Adelaide meeting which established the campaign to save the ship. http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/famed-clipper-adelaide-finally-coming-home-from-scotland/comments-e6frea83-1225911307313 and http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/city-of-adelaide-clipper-ship-ready-to-sail-to-its-namesake/story-e6frg6nf-1225911612679
- University of the 3rd Age, Adelaide. Tutor profiles. http://www.adelaideu3a.on.net/AboutUs.htm
- Flinders University. Archaeology from Below. Speakers List 2008. http://ehlt.flinders.edu.au/conferences/archaeology/presenters.html
- Article regarding Volunteers by Peter Christopher as Chief Industrial Officer of the Public Service Association of South Australia. https://books.google.com/books?id=1WE519K9xk0C&pg=PA134&lpg=PA134&dq=peter+christopher+shipwrecks&source=bl&ots=4vYUj3l9b1&sig=GRc_iErZiKMYa2TH6R6a3v9xJ7E&hl=en&ei=1dVLTeiNO4WEvAOEh73mDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAzg8#v=onepage&q=peter%20christopher%20shipwrecks&f=false
- Traditional Boats and Tall Ships Magazine article regarding the 1864 ship "City of Adelaide". http://tallship.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/11/sos-city-of-adelaide.html
- Sunday Mail news item with Peter Christopher comments regarding shipping containers being inappropriate to use as prison cells. http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/think-outside-box-for-prison-cells/story-e6frea6u-1226095987275
- Irvine Herald article with Peter Christopher comments regarding the preparation to move the historic "City of Adelaide". http://www.irvineherald.co.uk/ayrshire-news/local-news-ayrshire/local-news-irvine/2012/03/02/sit-in-ship-protest-won-t-sink-carrick-s-oz-move-75485-30425891/
- BBC report re "City of Adelaide" and quotes by Peter Christopher. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-17433173
- ABC TV report regarding "City of Adelaide", including interview with Peter Christopher. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-03/fight-over-ships-return/4176324?section=sa
- Portside Messenger interview with Peter Christopher regarding "City of Adelaide" clipper ship. http://digitaledition.portsidemessenger.com.au/#folio=6
- Adelaide TV interview with Peter Christopher re moving clipper ship City of Adelaide. http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/latest/18627783/historic-clipper-to-head-to-adelaide[permanent dead link]
- The Australian. Ship movement interview. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/historic-clipper-to-head-to-adelaide/story-fn3dxiwe-1226703053046
- Adelaide Advertiser. Ship movement story. http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/historic-city-of-adelaide-clipper-ship-in-final-voyage-to-south-australia-in-state-tourist-coup/story-fni6uo1m-1226703027404?sv=22e733411446a2a15e542a5a40ff5370#.Uhfx0Mr6nzg.email
- BBC Glasgow. Ship movement interview. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-23802192
- BBC Sunderland. Opposition to movement of ship by local enthusiast. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-23807329
- Messenger Press. Announcement of clipper ship City of Adelaide arrival date in Adelaide. http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/west-beaches/city-of-adelaide-clipper-ship-leaves-netherlands-on-final-journey-to-south-australia/story-fni9llx9-1226766323216
- Adelaide Advertiser interview with Peter Christopher on retirement. http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/lunch-with-peter-christopher/story-fni6uo1m-1227405692829
- Portside Messenger article with Peter Christopher quoted re historic ship 'City of Adelaide'. . http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/west-beaches/greatgrandaughter-of-clipper-ships-first-captain-makes-five-figure-donation/news-story/b04c7e4835cb01b07762cf0f702a34d3
- Portside Messenger 10 January 2018 interview re moving historic ship "City of Adelaide". http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/west-beaches/news-story/baa3d68e0c91191cb66d8e434bab6072
- Portside article 14 March 2018 Book launch. http://messenger.smedia.com.au/portside-weekly/shared/ShowArticle.aspx?doc=MPSW%2F2018%2F03%2F14&entity=Ar01302&sk=F37FD373