|Born||July 11, 1983|
|Origin||New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Genres||Pop, rock, jazz|
|Labels||Concord, 143/Reprise/Warner Bros.|
Peter Cincotti (born July 11, 1983) is an American singer-songwriter. He began playing piano at the age of three. While in high school, he regularly performed in clubs throughout Manhattan. In 2003, Cincotti's debut album, produced by Phil Ramone, reached No. 1 on the Billboard jazz chart, making Cincotti the youngest musician to do so. This led to performances at Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, Radio City Music Hall, L'Olympia, Queen Elizabeth Hall, and the Montreux Jazz Festival where he won an award in the piano competition. Cincotti's style blends pop, rock, blues, and jazz.
Life and career
Born in New York City in an Italian-American family, from Cervinara, a little town in province of Avellino where he is honorary citizen. Cincotti started playing a toy piano at the age of three. While in high school, he regularly performed at clubs throughout Manhattan and performed at the White House. At the 2000 Montreux Jazz Festival, he won an award for a rendition of Dizzy Gillespie's A Night in Tunisia. In 2002, he reached No. 1 on the Billboard Traditional jazz chart, becoming the youngest solo musician to do so to date.
His self-titled debut album is a compilation of traditional jazz songs, and included collaborations with his mom, sister, and brother on Are You the One? and "Lovers, Secrets, Lies." His second album, On the Moon, featured some of the artist's own songs. Combining elements of pop, jazz, funk and, rock, his third studio album, East of Angel Town, features original works and was released in 2007 in Europe and in January 2009 in the United States. This project began when Cincotti joined record producer David Foster (who signed him to a contract with 143 Records), producer Humberto Gatica, and producer Jochem van der Saag. He toured around the world, promoting the album with his single "Goodbye Philadelphia" and later joined Seal on tour in the U.S. In 2008, he collaborated with French DJ David Guetta and they appeared on the finale of Star Academy, performing Love Is Gone. Combining pop, jazz, rock and dance, Cincotti created his fourth studio album, Metropolis, produced by John Fields and released worldwide in the spring of 2012. In 2016, Cincotti released the EP Exit 105, a song renamed Long Way from Home from his fifth studio album entitled Long Way from Home that was released the following year on October 13, 2017. It was released only in Italy.
In July 2012, he and his sister Pia Cincotti wrote and produced the musical How Deep Is the Ocean? with music and lyrics by Peter Cincotti and book by Pia Cincotti. It debuted at the New York Musical Theatre Festival. In 2013 he participated in the Festival of Sanremo, singing the song La Felicità (The Happiness) with Simona Molinari. Later that year, Cincotti was named the first male ambassador for Italian luxury designer Tods and collaborated with the brand on the music video "Madeline", which was featured in the Italian edition of Vanity Fair magazine. In 2014 Cincotti wrote, arranged, and produced the soundtrack for the Italian film Le Leggi Del Desiderio (Laws of Desire) directed by Silvio Muccino.
Cincotti appeared in a small role in the 2004 film Beyond the Sea about Bobby Darrin and contributed to the film's soundtrack. He had a small role as the piano player in the Hayden Planetarium in Spider-Man 2. His song December Boys is featured in the 2007 film December Boys starring Daniel Radcliffe. He appeared as himself in Season 3 (2015) of the Netflix series House of Cards, singing a duet with President Francis Underwood (played by Kevin Spacey). In April 2015 he performed with Sting and Annie Lennox at The Old Vic Gala in a tribute to Spacey.
In 2017, he released the music video for his single, “Made For Me”.
- 2003 – Peter Cincotti (Concord) (US. No. 118)
- 2004 – On the Moon (Concord) (ITA No. 35, FRA No. 21, US No.128)
- 2009 – East of Angel Town (143 Records) (SWI No. 22, ITA No. 65, FRA No. 16, BEL No. 26)
- 2012 – Metropolis (Heads Up)
- 2017 – Long Way from Home
- 2003 – "My Favorite Time of Year"
- 2007 – "Goodbye Philadelphia" (FRA No. 21, AT No. 10, CH No. 10, GER No .68)
- 2008 – "Angel Town"
- 2008 – "December Boys"
- 2012 – "My Religion"
- 2013 – "Madeline"
- 2016 – "Palermo"
- 2017 – "Made for Me"
DVD and video
- Peter Cincotti: Live in New York (2004)
Trad. Jazz LP
iTunes Top 100
|2004||On The Moon||128|
|2011||In cerca di te||41|
|2016||Le leggi del desiderio||38|
- Andrew Gilbert (2014-04-17). "Pianist, singer Peter Cincotti not content to take easy way". SFGate. Retrieved 2019-05-27.
- "Young & Restless". Retrieved 2019-03-31.
- Viganò, Lorenzo (3 August 2010). "Peter Cincotti, l'originale". Corriere della Sera. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
Mio nonno paterno era di Napoli, mia nonna di Piacenza..
- De Rosa, Vincenzo (29 August 2015). "Cervinara in festa: che entusiasmo per il "cittadino" Cincotti". ottopagine. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
I nonni di Cincotti erano infatti italiani: l’ex bambino prodigio della musica americana è per metà campano e per metà emiliano.
- "CNN.com - Everything old is new again: Peter Cincotti - Mar. 13, 2003". www.cnn.com. Retrieved 2019-03-31.
- Beyond the Sea (2004) - IMDb, retrieved 2019-03-31
- "From "House of Cards" to David Guetta, Peter Cincotti Hurtles Musical Boundaries". The Smith Center for the Performing Arts in Las Vegas. Retrieved 2019-03-31.
- "Peter Cincotti Releases Music Video for 'Made For Me' from His Upcoming Album Long Way from Home". PEOPLE.com. Retrieved 2019-03-30.
- Peter Cincotti by Peter Cincotti, retrieved 2019-03-31
- On the Moon by Peter Cincotti, retrieved 2019-03-31
- East of Angel Town (Bonus Track Version) by Peter Cincotti, retrieved 2019-03-31
- Long Way from Home by Peter Cincotti, retrieved 2019-03-31
- Made for Me - Single by Peter Cincotti, retrieved 2019-04-02
- "Peter Cincotti Peter Cincotti Chart History". Billboard. Retrieved 2019-05-27.
- "Peter Cincotti On The Moon Chart History". Billboard. Retrieved 2019-05-27.
- "iTunesCharts.net: 'In cerca di te' by Simona Molinari & Peter Cincotti (Italian Songs iTunes Chart)". www.itunescharts.net. Retrieved 2019-05-27.
- "iTunesCharts.net: 'Le leggi del desiderio' by Stefano Arnaldi & Peter Cincotti (Italian Albums iTunes Chart)". www.itunescharts.net. Retrieved 2019-05-27.