Peter Coffin (artist)
Coffin's work is exhibited internationally and featured in several prominent collections.
Peter Coffin is currently collaborating with Al Jaffee inspired by his undergraduate personal encounter with the modern dance choreographer Twyla Tharp. He is the nephew of artist Robert Smithson who introduced Coffin to the study of plant consciousness before Smithson died July 20, 1973 when Coffin was just a year old. In 2010, Coffin developed a library cataloguing system for the Library of the American Society for Psychical Research in New York City utilizing the colors cast on the library's shelves by the natural light passing through the library's Tiffany Stained Glass windows.
This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (November 2010)
Coffin has showed in over 25 solo exhibitions both internationally and domestically. Installations include:
- Here and There (2013), Smithsonian Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Washington D.C., U.S.
- Peter Coffin (2013), The National Exemplar, New York City, U.S.
- The Prelapsarian (2012), Carl Kostyál Gallery, London, United Kingdom
- All Robots Welcome (2010), Social Grease Gallery, Liechtenstein
- Don't Knock If You Wouldn't Enter (2009), Al Abarr gallery, Dubai, UAE.
- Model of the Universe (e.g. sweet harmonica solo, e.g. the idea of the sun, e.g. Frisbee dog catch in mid air, e.g. brightly colored gem stomes, e.g. the desire for a tropical drink, e.g. dance sweat) (2007), Galerie Emmanuel Perrotin, Paris, France
- Tree Pants (2007), The Horticultural Society of New York, Peter Coffin & Djordje Ozbolt, Herald St. London, United Kingdom
- The Idea of the Sun (2007), Le Confort Moderne, Poitiers, France.
- Limousine Code (2005), Living Room D Lyx Gallery, Malmö, Sweden
- Hello Headspace (2005), Gallery Fonti, Naples, Italy
- The Feraliminal Lycanthropizer (2005), Champion Fine Art, Los Angeles, U.S.
- Collection (or, How I Spent a Year) (2004), MoMA, New York City, U.S.
- Turn on the Lights (2004), South London Gallery, London, United Kingdom
- It Chooses You (2004), Andrew Kreps Gallery, New York City, U.S.
- Natural Habits (2004), The Paine Art Center, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, U.S.
- When Interwoven Echoes Drip into a Hybrid Body Migros Museum für Gegenwartskunst, Zurich, Long Island City, New York City, U.S.
This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Works by the artist can be seen at:
- Aspen Art Museum, Aspen, CO
- Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit, MI
- The Wanås Foundation sculpture park, Skåne, Sweden:
- Untitled (Tree Pants); jeans tailored to trees in the park (collaboration with Levi Strauss & Co).
- MoMA, New York, NY 
- Storm King Art Center New Windsor, NY 
In 2005, Coffin released the Music for Plants compilation album with tracks from forty artists including Ara Peterson, Ariel Pink, Arto Lindsay, Sun Burned Hand of the Man, Jutta Koether, Alan Licht & Tom Verlaine, LoVid, Christian Marclay, Dearraindrop, and Mice Parade.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-07-09. Retrieved 2008-02-20.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-10. Retrieved 2010-01-06.
- Peter Coffion biography[permanent dead link]
- Peter Coffin Artfacts.
- Le Confort Moderne Artfacts
- Champion Fine Art, "The Feraliminal Lycanthropizer", May 2005
- http://www.wps1.org/include/shows/greater_new_york.html WPS1 Art Radio (Accessed 2008-12-04)
- http://greenmuseum.org/c/alch_gard/peter_coffin.html Green Museum Website. (Accessed 2008-12-04)