Peter Samuel Dayan|
1965 (age 52–53)
University of Cambridge (BA)|
University of Edinburgh (PhD)
Rumelhart Prize (2012)|
The Brain Prize (2017)
University College London|
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
University of Toronto
|Thesis||Reinforcing connectionism : learning the statistical way (1991)|
|Doctoral advisor||David Willshaw|
Peter Samuel Dayan FRS is the director of the Gatsby Charitable Foundation Computational Neuroscience Unit at University College London. He is co-author of Theoretical Neuroscience, a textbook on Computational neuroscience. He is known for applying Bayesian methods from machine learning and artificial intelligence to understand neural function, and is particularly recognized for having related neurotransmitter levels to prediction errors and Bayesian uncertainties. He co-authored a paper on Q-learning with Chris Watkins,[clarification needed] and provided a proof of convergence of TD(λ) for arbitrary λ.
Dayan studied mathematics at the University of Cambridge and then continued for a PhD in artificial intelligence at the University of Edinburgh on statistical learning  with David Willshaw and David Wallace, focusing on associative memory and reinforcement learning.
Career and research
After his PhD, Dayan held postdoctoral research positions with Terry Sejnowski at the Salk Institute and Geoffrey Hinton at the University of Toronto. He then took up an assistant professor position at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and moved to the Gatsby Computational Neuroscience Unit at University College London in 1998, becoming professor and director in 2002. He stepped down as director in 2017. .
Awards and honours
- Ghahramani, Zoubin (2017). "Welcoming Peter Dayan to Uber AI Labs". uber.com.
- "Peter Dayan". www.gatsby.ucl.ac.uk.
- Schultz, W., Dayan, P., & Montague, P. R. (1997). A neural substrate of prediction and reward. Science, 275 (5306), 1593–1599 doi:10.1126/science.275.5306.1593
- Watkins, Christopher JCH, and Peter Dayan. "Q-learning". Machine learning 8, no. 3–4 (1992): 279–292. doi:10.1007/BF00992698
- Dayan, Peter. "The convergence of TD (λ) for general λ". Machine learning 8, no. 3–4 (1992): 341–362 doi:10.1023/A:1022632907294
- Dayan, Peter Samuel (1991). Reinforcing connectionism: learning the statistical way. lib.ed.ac.uk (PhD thesis). hdl:1842/14754. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.649240.
- Anon (2018). "Professor Peter Dayan FRS". royalsociety.org. London: Royal Society. Retrieved 22 May 2018. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from the royalsociety.org website where:
“All text published under the heading 'Biography' on Fellow profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.” --Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies at the Wayback Machine (archived 2016-11-11)
|This biography of an academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a neuroscientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|