Peter E. Berger
Peter E. Berger
Peter Edward Berger
May 30, 1944
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Died||September 22, 2011 (aged 67)|
Calabasas, California, U.S.
Peter Edward Berger (May 30, 1944 – September 22, 2011) was an American film editor with about fifty feature and television film credits. His film editing credits include: Mommie Dearest (1981), four films in the Star Trek series (from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) through Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)), Fatal Attraction (1987), and Coach Carter (2005). His last credit was for the television biopic Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story (2009); the film was his sixth collaboration with director Thomas Carter. With Michael Kahn, Berger won the 1989 BAFTA Award for Best Editing for Fatal Attraction, and they were nominated for the Academy Award and the American Cinema Editors Eddie for the film.
Berger was the son of film editor Fred W. Berger. He attended film school at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), served in the United States Army, and worked for the Armed Forces Korean Network in Seoul. He began his career in 1968 working on the television program, The Doris Day Show. His first credit was for the feature film Arnold (1973).
- The Savage Is Loose (1974)
- Hot Potato (1976)
- It's Showtime (1976)
- The Skatebirds (1977 TV series) (as Peter Berger)
- The Pack (1977)
- Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park (1978) (TV)
- The Promise (1979)
- Oh, God! Book II (1980)
- The Last Married Couple in America (1980)
- Mommie Dearest (1981)
- First Monday in October (1981)
- Monsignor (1982)
- Hobson's Choice (1983) (TV)
- Staying Alive (1983)
- The Face of Rage (1983) (TV)
- Burning Rage (1984) (TV)
- Silence of the Heart (1984) (TV)
- Call to Glory (1984) (TV series)
- Heart of a Champion: The Ray Mancini Story (1985) (TV)
- Scandal Sheet (1985) (TV)
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
- Fire with Fire (1986)
- Less Than Zero (1987)
- Fatal Attraction (1987)
- The Good Mother (1988) (as Peter Berger)
- Memories of Me (1988)
- Do You Know the Muffin Man? (1989) (TV)
- Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989) (as Peter Berger)
- Funny About Love (1990)
- Dead Again (1991)
- All I Want for Christmas (1991)
- The Magical World of Chuck Jones (1992)
- Stay Tuned (1992)
- Hocus Pocus (1993)
- Holy Matrimony (1994)
- Star Trek Generations (1994)
- Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco (1996)
- Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace (1996) (uncredited)
- Red Corner (1997)
- Metro (1997)
- Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)
- Lover's Prayer (2001)
- Save the Last Dance (2001) (as Peter Berger)
- Like Mike (2002) (as Peter Berger)
- Clockstoppers (2002) (as Peter Berger)
- Garfield: The Movie (2004) (as Peter Berger)
- Coach Carter (2005) (as Peter Berger)
- Alvin and the Chipmunks (2007) (as Peter Berger)
- 88 Minutes (2008) (as Peter Berger)
- Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story (2009) (TV) (as Peter Berger)
As Additional Editor
As Assistant Editor
- Berger cut television program episodes for Carter in 1984 and 1990, and Carter's films starting with Metro (1997); see "Most Popular Films and Television Episodes With Thomas Carter And Peter E. Berger". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2015-11-06.
- "Explore the Awards | BAFTA Awards". Bafta.org. Retrieved 2013-10-03.
- "Peter E. Berger : Awards". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2013-11-28.
- Barnes, Mike (October 21, 2011). "'Fatal Attraction' Editor Peter Berger Dies at 67". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Editor Peter E. Berger dies". Variety. October 17, 2011.
- "Peter E. Berger movies, photos, movie reviews, filmography, and biography". AllMovie. Retrieved 2013-10-03.
- "Peter E. Berger - Filmography - Movies & TV - NYTimes.com". Movies.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2013-10-03.
- "Peter E. Berger Filmography". Fandango.com. Retrieved 2013-10-03.