Peter Engel (TV producer)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification, as it includes attribution to IMDb. (February 2008)|
|Occupation||Film/television producer, director, writer|
Peter Engel born April 12, 1960 is an American television producer who is best known for his teenage sitcoms which appeared on TNBC, a former Saturday morning block on NBC which featured all teenage-oriented programs for educational purposes. His most well known work was the teenage sitcom Saved by the Bell which inspired the birth of the TNBC block for his other shows such as California Dreams, Hang Time and City Guys in the 1990s.
Life and career
Engel's foray into teenage sitcoms began in 1986 when he was approached by then-NBC programming executive Brandon Tartikoff about producing shows for the 10-14 age demographic. At first, Engel was not interested and felt that Tartikoff should "find someone else". He later changed his mind after a conversation with his wife reminded him of how he had always talked about doing shows that his own children could grow up on.
For a period, he also served as the dean of the School of Communication and the Arts at Pat Robertson's Regent University. Engel had nearly a 20-year relationship with the Christian Broadcasting Network before joining the staff at Regent. After a visit in 2002, he was impressed with the new communications center, which includes two theaters, a state-of-the-art animation lab, editing suites, and TV and film studios. In 2003, Peter sensed that the Lord was telling him to take the job as the new dean.
His most recent project was being executive producer of the NBC reality series Last Comic Standing. He has been announced as executive producer and creator of the E! Network reality show Chasing The Saturdays, starring British popstars The Saturdays.
Engel was raised Jewish, and has converted to Christianity.
Engel's Teenage Programming Timeline
- 1988, 1989 Good Morning, Miss Bliss
- 1988-1992, 1993 Saved by the Bell
- 1992-1993, 1994-1996 California Dreams
- 1993-1994 Saved by the Bell: The College Years
- 1993, 1994-1998, 1999-2000 Saved by the Bell: The New Class
- 1995-1999, 2000 Hang Time
- 1997-1999 USA High
- 1997-2001 City Guys
- 1998-1999, 2000-2001 One World
- 1998-2000 Malibu, CA
- 2001 All About Us
NBC Productions (1988–1996)
NBC Studios (1995–1999, 2000, 2001)
NBC Enterprises (1996–2001) A.N.T Farm (2012-2014)
- "'Bell' Hearing the Sounds of Success : Television: With a TV movie, foreign broadcasts, syndicated reruns and a plethora of merchandise, 'Saved by the Bell' intends to be noticed.". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2010-10-18.
- http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-49951.html 2002 Zap2it.com interview with Peter Engel
- http://www.cbn.com/700club/guests/bios/peter_engel_082404.aspx The 700 Club - Peter Engel: Hollywood Producer Turned Regent Dean