Peter Evans (musician)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Evans performing at the Moers festival 2015
|Genres||Experimental music, contemporary, improvisation, composition|
|Instruments||Trumpet, piccolo trumpet|
|Associated acts||Mostly Other People Do the Killing, Zebulon, Peter Evans Quintet, Pulverize the Sound, Premature Burial, House Special, International Contemporary Ensemble, Wet Ink, Evan Parker Electro-Acoustic Ensemble|
Peter Evans is an American trumpet player based in New York, who specializes in improvisation and avant-garde music. Evans has been a member of the New York City musical community since 2003, when he moved to the city after graduating from The Oberlin Conservatory of Music. His earlier studies were in the Jazz Department of New England Conservatory of Music's School of Preparatory Education.
His primary groups as a leader are the Peter Evans Quintet (with Ron Stabinsky, Sam Pluta, Tom Blancarte and Jim Black) and the Zebulon trio (with John Hebert and Kassa Overall). In addition, Evans has been performing and recording solo trumpet music since 2003 and is widely recognized as a leading voice in the field, having released several recordings over the past decade. He is a member of several groups, such as Mostly Other People Do the Killing, Pulverize the Sound, Rocket Science, Premature Burial.
Evans has collaborated with a broad range of figures in modern music, including Weasel Walter, Evan Parker, Matana Roberts, Tyshawn Sorey, John Zorn, Mary Halvorson, Peter Brötzmann, Aaron Burnett, Okkyung Lee, and Nate Wooley. He has also premiered compositions by Brian Ferneyhough, George Lewis, Eric Wubbels, Anthony Braxton, and Barry Guy. He is also a member of the International Contemporary Ensemble (ICE) and Wetby the ICE, Yarn/Wire, the Donaueschingen Musiktage Festival, the Jerome Foundation's Emerging Artist Program and was a 2014 Artist-in-Residence at Issue Project Room in Brooklyn, NY. He has presented and/or performed his music at many major international festivals and has toured his own groups extensively in Europe, Canada and the United States.
In 2011, Peter Evans founded his recording label More is More Records which has released several highly acclaimed albums.
- More Is More (psi 2006)
- The Peter Evans Quartet (Firehouse 12 2007)
- Nature/Culture (psi 2010)
- Scenes in the House of Music – with Evan Parker, Barry Guy, Paul Lytton (Clean Feed, 2010)
- Peter Evans Quartet – Live in Lisbon (Clean Feed 2010)
- Ghosts (More is More 2011)
- Beyond Civilized and Primitive (Dancing Wayang, 2011)
- Mechanical Malfunction – with Weasel Walter and Mary Halvorson (Thirsty Ear 2013)
- Zebulon (More is More 2013)
- Rocket Science – with Craig Taborn, Evan Parker and Sam Pluta (More Is More, 2013)
- Destination: Void (More is More 2014)
- Premature Burial – with Matt Nelson and Dan Peck) (New Atlantis, 2015)
- Amok Amor – with Wanja Slavin, Petter Eldh, Christian Lillinger (Boomslang 2015)
- Pulverize the Sound (Relative Pitch, 2015)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peter Evans.|