Peter Evans (musician)
|Born||October 2, 1981|
|Genres||Free improvisation, avant-garde jazz, contemporary classical|
|Instrument(s)||Trumpet, piccolo trumpet|
|Labels||More Is More|
Evans graduated from The Oberlin Conservatory of Music. He also studied at the New England Conservatory of Music's School of Preparatory Education. He has led the Peter Evans Quintet with Ron Stabinsky, Sam Pluta, Tom Blancarte, and Jim Black, the Zebulon trio with John Hebert and Kassa Overall, and was a member of the band Mostly Other People Do the Killing. He has worked with Peter Brötzmann, Mary Halvorson, Okkyung Lee, Evan Parker, Matana Roberts, Tyshawn Sorey, Dave Taylor, Weasel Walter, and John Zorn.
He is a member of the International Contemporary Ensemble and Wet by the ICE, Yarn/Wire, the Donaueschingen Musiktage Festival, the Jerome Foundation's Emerging Artist Program, and was a 2014 Artist-in-Residence at Issue Project Room in Brooklyn, New York. Evans performed at the 2016 Kanye West x Adidas fashion show in New York City.
In 2011 Evans founded the label More is More Records.
- More Is More (psi, 2006)
- The Peter Evans Quartet (Firehouse 12, 2007)
- Nature/Culture (psi 2010)
- Scenes in the House of Music – with Evan Parker, Barry Guy, Paul Lytton (Clean Feed, 2010)
- Peter Evans Quartet – Live in Lisbon (Clean Feed, 2010)
- Ghosts (More is More, 2011)
- Beyond Civilized and Primitive (Dancing Wayang, 2011)
- Mechanical Malfunction – with Weasel Walter and Mary Halvorson (Thirsty Ear, 2013)
- Zebulon - Trio (More is More, 2013)
- Rocket Science – with Craig Taborn, Evan Parker and Sam Pluta (More Is More, 2013)
- Destination: Void (More is More, 2014)
- Premature Burial – with Matt Nelson and Dan Peck (New Atlantis, 2015)
- Amok Amor – with Wanja Slavin, Petter Eldh, Christian Lillinger (Boomslang, 2015)
- Pulverize the Sound (Relative Pitch, 2015)
- Syllogistic Moments – with Barry Guy (Maya, 2018)
- Two Live Sets - with Sam Pluta (Sam Pluta, 2020)
- Being And Becoming - Quartet (More Is More, 2020)
- Fonseca-Wollheim, Corinna da (2015-11-06). "Review: Peter Evans Teaches His Trumpet a New Vocabulary". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- Chinen, Nate (2016-12-16). "With Peter Evans on Trumpet, Only the Shape Is Familiar". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- Margasak, Peter (6 April 2017). "Trumpet virtuoso Peter Evans debuts a new band and a new book of music". Chicago Reader. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- "Trumpet Player Peter Evans on Improvisation as Thought | Mixtapes". WQXR. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- "More is More Records". Discogs.
- Jazz, All About (13 November 2007). "Peter Evans Quartet: The Peter Evans Quartet album review @ All About Jazz". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2020-07-23.